Author Topic: avast! 4.6.603 Final [Opinions, Comments]  (Read 28918 times)

Starfighter

Re: avast! 4.6.603 Final [Opinions, Comments]
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2005, 04:33:30 AM »
Avast! keeps on getting better!  Version 4.6 is superb--I like the net shield that works in Win98se.  Thanks to the Alwil team for a fantastic product!  I've been telling all my friends how great this program is. 

honyak122

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2005, 05:40:08 AM »
The ALWIL Team deserves monumental praise for their efforts in releasing Version 4.6. This is an indication of what a company can do when it puts forth the effort,provides excellent tech support and listens to it's users requests.

I bow to your immense efforts to make this product one of the best.

Congratulations on a fine AV !!!!

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »
minacross,

Is that linux your on? (i think i heard you mention you use linux before).

Also is that pure memory usage or Virtual memory usage being shown?

--lee
Lee,
it's windows 98se..
I do not know about the 2nd one  ::)
MW

lee16

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005, 04:28:38 PM »
it's windows 98se..
I do not know about the 2nd on

I'm not sure how to do it on Win98SE, but on xp you can bring up the VM collum, which is the important one.

--lee

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »
Mina, under Win9x, there haven't been any important changes to the ashServ.exe allocation scheme...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2005, 07:38:01 PM »
 :) Hey , I was just pleasantly surprised to find myself uploading Avast! 4.6.603 . I wasn't expecting this. I see some changes, like the Web Shield . I'd like to thank all concerned in the Avast! team for this fantastic software and commend you all on keeping so many of us Virus Free for so long. This New version looks exciting.  ;)
Cheers, and thankyou.
Tony,
Australia.

P.S. I have asked before if it's possible to create a Boot Disk for Win 98 SE so I can do a " Boot Time Scan " such is available with Avast! in Win XP, and I think it was Eddy who said it was possible, but I don't know how I could create one. I wonder if some knowledgeable person could help me out with this as it would be fantastic to have this option. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2005, 07:56:49 PM »
It can't be the same as XP/avast boot-time scan, because it can't use any files from the avast directory in DOS mode.

There really is nothing to stop you creating a win98 system disk (format a floppy and tick copy system files, I think), then see if you can add the avast4dos scanner to the floppy. Check the web site about avst4dos version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2005, 09:36:11 PM »
Mina, under Win9x, there haven't been any important changes to the ashServ.exe allocation scheme...

OK - Windows XP SP2 here and AVAST 4.6 ashserv.exe uses 9 - 10 MB - isn't this a little bit much?

Greetings

Timo

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2005, 07:29:23 AM »
DavidR :
There really is nothing to stop you creating a win98 system disk (format a floppy and tick copy system files, I think), then see if you can add the avast4dos scanner to the floppy. Check the web site about avst4dos version.

Thanks DavidR, I'll check out the dos version and study up on Boot Disks.
 4.6 hasn't given me any problems on '98SE so another thumbs up to the " Team ".
 :P
( Aint this stuff endless; I seem to spend 75% of my time tweaking AV  Protection Software...)
Must be working though, as I'm actually looking forward to finding a Virus one day! ;)

Arup

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 09:39:22 AM »
As a devout follower of Avast and one who has made many switch from commercial bloatwares pretending to be AV software, few words of appreciation, thank you, keep up your good job and also few realize but the Avast Free is as powerful as Avast Pro and this speaks for the big heart from Alwil, others charge way more for lesser software but they have still kept it free. So those of us who can support them by buying Pro, let us do so and keep this wonderful thing alive or else suffer from some super hyped overpriced resource hogs in the market waiting to make our PCs crawl.

It is flattery and I am guilty of it, but team Avast deserves more than anyone else. :)

eokorie

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2005, 10:16:51 AM »
Been using avast for about 2 years now and with each release, new features appear...  V4.6 is superb.  Although browsing is a bit slow now, I have not complaints...

Keep up the good job guys!!   ;D

inconnu

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »
I'm very pleased with the new version.  4.6.603 has worked flawlessly so far -- as have all previous versions I've used.  Thank you to all involved for this great software. I've been using avast! for almost a year, and every version gets better.

I wasn't planning on using the Webshield because of Sygate's flaw regarding local proxies, but using port 12080 has solved that problem.  I like the extra layer of protection this new feature offers.  If it slows browsing down, it's not really noticeable in my case -- web pages seem to load fairly quickly.

larryni

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2005, 06:07:08 PM »
I can only agree with everyone (or nearly everyone ;)) on here - great new version. Thanks guys.

concerned807

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the great work making the new version available. I feel the Avast team is working very hard to make Avast one of the best, and the company is heading to a very good direction - reliable and fast technical support. All this attracts more and more loyal Avast users. Good luck, Avast!