Author Topic: possible fix for Avast av and Zone Alarm Pro  (Read 3188 times)

mkeemle

possible fix for Avast av and Zone Alarm Pro
« on: February 22, 2005, 03:58:21 AM »
There seems to be a recurring theme to this problem; I was also having the same type of problem-slow or nonloading webpages with Avast update and ZAP.

Shutting down the firewall cured it, but of course we ALL know that is like playing cowboys and indians with a tactical nuke.  So here is what I did to fix (so it seems) the problem...

- download the FREE version of Zone Alarm
- unload ZAP running on the computer and uninstall
- re-install Zone Alarm (firewall only) and do not activate the "free trial" for the Pro version (I believe this is where the trouble lies)
- reboot and let 'er rip!

Realizing of course that everyone's machine is different, so this may not be a cure-all; but my guess is that it will remedy a large portion of problems that are similar.

Running : Win2k (sp4), 1g ram, 950 Athlon, avast, spywareblaster, spybot S&D, ccleaner, ad-aware, and Zone Alarm ...FREE!
Hope this helps

-Mike-

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: possible fix for Avast av and Zone Alarm Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 04:12:31 AM »
Sounds more like you didn;t setup the correct permissions.

mkeemle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:42:29 AM »
 Hey Eddy:

Thanks, that is something I forgot to mention...permisions were set correctly in ZAP, but it was still no go.  Evidently there are some incompatibility issues that ZAP has with some other programs (Zone Labs was very vauge about this), and unloading and re-installing was one of the recommends.

It seemed to run fine with AVG, but I am not real wild about that av- I have avast running on a wireless notebook, and three other pc's-had the same problem with all, and fixed it as detailed in my previous post.

I guess in a perfect world, there would be no virus writers, hackers or spyware/malware gurus always trying to upset the balance...just gets a little old trying to keep them out

Mike

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 09:35:27 AM »
Our current investigation (thanks essexboy) turned out that as for ZA, the problematic part is the Privacy control.
In order for WebShield to work, you must NOT have either Cookie Control or Ad Blocking set to High. Otherwise, pages will not load correctly.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.