Author Topic: Another problem with Web Access [McAfee personal fw]  (Read 5207 times)

Marky

Another problem with Web Access [McAfee personal fw]
« on: February 22, 2005, 06:09:26 PM »
Hi - Been using Avast for  a good few weeks now and have been very pleased.  However, since updating to 4.6 I cannot get access to web sites or e-mail.  I see a few others are having similar problems.  I had to uninstall and reinstall the previous version that works just fine.

I use Mcaffe Personal Firewall plus and granted the new version of Avast both in and outbound access.  I use windows xp home, which is fully updated.

Is a fix / patch in the pipeline?  In the meantime am I best to stick with the old version of Avast, or upgrade to the new one but disable the web sheild provider? (If i do this, the new version allows wed access)
Mark
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:12:03 PM by Vlk »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Another problem with Web Access [McAfee personal fw]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »
You basically need to tell your firewall that ashWebSv.exe (the main WebShield executable) has granted access to the Internet. The firewall should ask you for this - but if it has not, you need to configure it manually...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Marky

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 06:31:57 PM »
Hi Vik
Just tried your suggestion.  The ashWebSV.exe was not in the list of allowed applications.  Added it in........but still no web access without disabling Web Shield!

Anything else I should try?  Am I better off with the old version?

Mark

Marky

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 06:39:25 PM »
OK - Just did a restart after manually adding ashwebsv.exe to Mcaffe.  Now all works just fine.  Thanks for you help Vik

Mark

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 06:48:59 PM »
So to sum up -- McAfee failed to ask you if you want to allow ashWebSv.exe to go the Internet, and even after adding it manually, you had to restart the machine for the changes to become effective?
Unbelievable. :-\

Fitzy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 07:27:10 PM »
I had same problems had to start using zonealarm in the end

ICF

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 09:56:12 PM »
I have change from Mcafee as well to Zonealarm but I'm still having a problem with Webshield.What does "redirected HTTP Port(s)" mean?If I leave it on the default setting of 80 my web pages don't load up but if a change it to say 81 or delete it altogether web page load correctly.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 09:58:47 PM »
Don't change the 80 value - it will effectively disable WebShield filtering HTTP traffic.
What are your Privacy settings in ZA? Please note that the current version of WebShield doesn't work if you have any of the ZA privacy settings (Cookie Control or Ad Blocking) set to High level.

Also, did ZA ask you for permissions for ashWebSv.exe? This process needs to be granted Internet access.

Thanks
Vlk

ICF

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 07:46:53 PM »
Thanks Vlk,

Did what you said and all seems to work fine now with Zonealarm.