Author Topic: Avast free and flash  (Read 3231 times)

mike_alt

Avast free and flash
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »
My system; dual core pentium running at 2.8 gig, 2 gig ram, winxp pro, sp3, firewall Comodo free 5.12.256249

I recently started to use Avast! Free 7.0.1474 Instead of another A/V program and noticed some questions / comments about this product;

Upon opening the user interface and selecting statistics, I see a note that I need to install Flash - yet it is installed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast free and flash
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
Upon opening the user interface and selecting statistics, I see a note that I need to install Flash - yet it is installed.

You need this version for avast!: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

mike_alt

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »
The version of flash you suggested worked.

I tried starting at adobe.com and drilling down but couldn't find it - how did you?

I just upgraded to firefox 18.0.1 and the active-x version of flash is not listed in the add-ons page - any ideas?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
I just upgraded to firefox 18.0.1 and the active-x version of flash is not listed in the add-ons page - any ideas?

Sure. For FF you need this version: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

mike_alt

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
I am disappointed that Avast! would provide a product with an incompatibility for Firefox.

The version of Flash needed to show statistics is incompatible with FF.

I don't think it would be a good idea to try to install 2 versions of Flash.

I am considering reporting this as a bug.

Offline ky331

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
Mike wrote: "I don't think it would be a good idea to try to install 2 versions of Flash."

There's nothing wrong with installing both versions of Flash... I have been using both for years.

The active-X version enables Flash in Internet Explorer.   
The plugin-version enables Flash in most other browsers, such as Firefox and Opera.
Users need to be aware of this, and install the version(s) of Flash appropriate for their browser(s).

Apparently, based on your issue, avast coordinates itself with the Active-X version of flash.   

So if would want to use Avast and Firefox, you need both flash versions:  the activeX for Avast's statistical display, and the plugin for Firefox.

I would not classify this as being a bug.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »
I am disappointed that Avast! would provide a product with an incompatibility for Firefox.

The version of Flash needed to show statistics is incompatible with FF.

I don't think it would be a good idea to try to install 2 versions of Flash.

I am considering reporting this as a bug.
As ky331 mentioned "it is not a bug" IE and Firefox have always required different versions of flash and the avast statistic's use the IE version.