Author Topic: program size  (Read 1792 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
program size
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
I noticed that avast takes a great deal of the phone memory, avast takes up to 4.76 mb while the anti-theft takes 3.42 mb (all up to 8.18 mb). That's too  much of the limited phone internal memory, I only have 420MB.
Is there a way to shrink future releases guys? thx
MW

svehlak

Re: program size
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »
Are you talking about package size or memory use? Avast does not use much memory.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: program size
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
Hi,

actually it is being compressed as best as Android can do it at the moment :( The 5MB AMS .apk is almost 7MB unpacked. Code itself is 2MB of that, I don't think it can be compressed further without removing features. We might do maybe 1,9MB with a lot of tweaking, but I think it's not worth the effort. Graphics are 1,5MB and those can't be compressed further as well if we don't want to decrease the graphics quality. Rooted stuff is 0,75MB, so if you don't use rooted features, that is wasted space for you unfortunatelly. The last big part is strings and styles, which are 2MB and I just found out those are not being compressed by Android packaging tool at all :( Those could be compressed to 0,5MB just fine saving you 1,5MB of space, but since the packaging tool doesn't do it, I'm not sure we should either. I think it would definitelly slow the speed of the app, at least on slower/older devices. But there might be further consequences that I don't see at the moment.

Filip