Author Topic: 4.6 Web Shield  (Read 13232 times)

xjnation

Re: 4.6 Web Shield
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 06:32:47 PM »
ashwebsv.exe is the executable for webshield. It needs to be active for the web shield portion of avast to function.  but even when switched on it does not always work, as in my case.  I just turned of my firewall and restarted web shield with still no luck. Still cant get on to the web.   So I guess it remains terminated till someone figures out the bugs of this beta.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 06:36:33 PM »
4.6.603 isn't a beta ;)

Patty15

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 06:39:52 PM »
Did you try setting the proxy server settings in your browser? 

I got this from the Avast Help:

"Web Shield provider protects your computer from viruses that may infect your computer when browsing the Internet - especially when downloading files from web pages.

If you - possibly by mistake - download an infected file and try to start it, avast! will prevent the infection thanks to its Standard Shield provider (which scans all files that you start of open). With Web Shield, however, the virus will be detected even sooner - during the download of the file. So, Web Shield makes your computer even safer than before.

This provider also makes it possible to block specific URL addresses."

So, now I'm wondering if I really need something that's gong to tell me a file I'm downloading (I download little from the web and only from reputable websites) is infected with a virus if the Resident Shield will block it if you try to run it anyhow.  Right now I have WebShield terminated due to problems with ZoneAlarm and I'm not sure I liked any of the workarounds provided in this forum.

Patty

xjnation

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 06:43:13 PM »
Im with you.  It appears that most leave your puter vulnerable by having to bypass the firewall configuration.

Dirigo

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 07:06:20 PM »
Hey Eddy! 

Yeah, I realized afterwards ... it's a RC ... naaaah, having some fun here.  How you doing? 

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion re: start  -> programs -> avast! antivirus -> help, but I have a habit of very being selective what I place there versus a short-cut to a program.  As it turns out, I only created a short-cut to the actual program, thus no short-cut to the help files.  Now, of course, I could of have dug into the actual directory itself, but ... hey, this forum is much more interesting  ::)  So that came back to bite me, but the truth is I most always initiate the program via the right mouse click on the "a" in the systray.

So I will now dig into the help files in the program directory  ;D  What's a man gotta do to get a simple answer here?  Ooooh, no ... the proverbial RTFM, huh?

Take care, Eddy.  Keep everybody in line ...

Good luck to all the other folks you are "enjoying" their adventures with Web Shield.

dirigo

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 07:27:33 PM »
If you had read the help file you should have seen that it is not a simple answer, the help file devotes 8 pages to it.

Obviously I'm an exception, I browse the help files of programs I install that have anything to do with my computer security, that way I get the best out of them and consequently the best security.

You can chose to do what you want to do with your own system, but answering numerous questions about the same thing (that is covered in the program documentation) is time consuming and can be better used.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee16

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 07:35:51 PM »
Web Shield provider protects your computer from viruses that may infect your computer when browsing the Internet - especially when downloading files from web pages.

If you - possibly by mistake - download an infected file and try to start it, avast! will prevent the infection thanks to its Standard Shield provider (which scans all files that you start of open). With Web Shield, however, the virus will be detected even sooner - during the download of the file. So, Web Shield makes your computer even safer than before.

This provider also makes it possible to block specific URL addresses.

The provider works as a local proxy server. On NT-based operating systems (Windows NT/2000/XP/20003) the protection is completely transparent and it is usually not necessary to configure anything special. To enable the Web Shield on Windows 9x/ME operating systems, it is necessary to modify one setting in the Internet Options - in particular, the address and port of local proxy.

--lee

Dirigo

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
lee16,

Thanks for the info.  You went above and beyond.  I really do appreciate it your efforts.

Patty15,

Not sure if you were asking me re: proxy setting in my browser.  Right now I have not configured  anything in my browser.  I did note instructions provided in the help files seem to only reference Internet Explorer browser ... unless I missed any mention of FireFox ... nope, no mention of Firefox, but two references to Mozilla (in browser list form).

DavidR,

I'm not sure if you read all my posts, but in my first go-around, there was no help file available ... until Eddy's later suggestion turned on a light bulb in my head.  That triggered me to remember how I configured my system in regards to avast! and many other programs.  I would have expected the ? (help) button option on the avast! Simple User Interface to have worked, but it didn't. 

No, I don't think you're the exception ... many people read and check out help files, albeit not necessarily in the depth that you probably do.  That's great and I commend you, but sometimes people, in the real world, don't always comprehend what they have read ... sometimes the written word is poorly written ... or leaves out that little detail that might click on a light bulb in their heads and bring understanding to them.  That's what forums are for ... and regardless of how forums are organized using search features, sometimes the users still don't find answers to their questions. 

The eight (8) pages (although I only saw displayed seven (7)  pages) were in fact pretty good IMHO.  However, the pages simply confirmed what I had speculated on in my first post.  No, I didn't hit the nail on the head exactly, but I was close enough in general terms.  There was no need for someone to expound on all the pages included in a help file.

In reference to your statement  "...answering numerous questions about the same thing (that is covered in the program documentation) is time consuming and can be better used.", I can agree, but you've taken the time to respond at least twice.  If you find it so time consuming why bother after the first response?   

Others were gracious enough to answer my question with whatever effort it took them.  These folks IMHO are the ones who have made this forum a great forum.  I don't post very often, but I do visit it and read it voraciously when I can.   People like Vik, Igor, Technical, Eddy (I "knew" him when he had a different name ... LOL!) and many others whom I have not mentioned are good, very good, as I'm sure you are as well, have taken the time to help with "simple and/or dumb" questions.  Well enough said ... if I have offended you in any way I certainly do apologize.  It was not my intent.  Take care and continue your fine work.

dirigo

Patty15

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 08:47:53 PM »
Dirigo,

You have to make that same proxy setting in Firefox as well, otherwise it won't work properly.  From what I can gather, when the browser access the webpage it has to go through the Avast WebShield, similiar to the way the email used to work back in the old days.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 11:10:06 AM »
xjnation, it's really hard to help you because of the crosspostings. If I'm not mistaken you haven't started any thread on this forum (I apologize if I missed something) but instead add your comments inline to existing threads. This is not very good as multiple people are discussing multiple problems and at the end of the day, the resulting threads are very confusing (try to read e.g. this thread from the beginning and you'll see what I'm talking about).

Anyway, you said WebShield was crashing on your machine. What exactly do you mean by crashing? That the process ashWebSv.exe crashed? If so, please open the folder <avast>\data\log and check out if there are any files called in unpXXXX there (XXXX is a random number). There should be 1 such file for each crash. If you have such file(s), please send them to my email. They should contain verbose information about the crashes.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

neiby

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 04:48:51 PM »
Nothing. Just make sure it's installed and running. On Win2000/Xp you don't have to configure anything.

Is this entirely true? I recommended Avast to a friend who got a brand new laptop from Dell this weekend. He installed the latest version of Avast and he used Kerio as his firewall. He is not able to browse the Internet with Web Shield active. I'm going to suggest that he make sure Web shield has access through his firewall. Is that all we need to check? Does he have to worry about proxy settings at all if he's using XP?

pcmd

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2005, 08:19:40 PM »
Using:
Information about current update:
Total time: 4 s

- Program: Already up to date
  (current version 4.6.603)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 0508-4)

Can not print AOL e-mail [aol.com] (was able to last week, with Web Shield Active.  Disabled (Normal Web Shield) everything works fine.  We are talking basic text email for dozen different sources (contacts).  Was there a bad update over the weekend???

Tom
support@pcmd.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2005, 08:54:54 PM »
What exactly is Web Shield (ashwebsv.exe) designed to do?

If it helps...
Web Shield is a new provider. It is a proxy that filters the communication of a web browser, looking for viruses. It also makes it possible to block certain files by URL or MIME type. HTTP Scanner should deal with all network traffic such as spywares, adwares, toolbars, BHOs, hijackers and other malicious scripts. It will work as a real time network-based antivirus firewall, it will filter HTTP (web) traffic before it reaches the browser.

Also please note we have two different features:

blocked URLs: this list contains URLs and URL wildcards which should NOT be accessible through avast! Web Shield - these might be positively malicious pages, unwanted adds or something like that.

URLs to exclude: this list contains URLs and URL wildcards which should NOT be scanned at all - that means you can even download viruses from these pages if you want - perhaps to download eicar test file   or perhaps to save some CPU cycles for specific needs - eg. your intranet apps or something like that.

Anyway, HTTPS protocol won't be scanned as avast! won't be allowed to check inside the communication.

It will will also be able to handle FTP but the FTP application (for instance, Internet Explorer, LeachFTP, 3d-FTP, WSFTP, CUTEFTP, SmartFTP) must be manually configured to be scanned.

Concerning the firewalls: Yes, you have to allow the webshield process (ashWebSv.exe) the access the internet. Especially port 80 (which is intercepted automatically), but 21 for FTP (and perhaps others) might be also needed - in case you set WebShield as a proxy server in your browsers. In some firewalls you would have to grant also the "Act as a server" right as ashWebSv.exe is listening on the port 12080 on localhost (to accept the connections from browsers). Sorry for the Outpost troubles, but we can hardly do anything to improve the cooperation with firewalls. From the firewall point of view ashWebSv.exe should be just an app accessing the internet and the firewall should interact with you (the user) according to its settings - eg. display a messagebox.

It might be the service nature of WebShield which confuses the firewall routines, the service might even start before the firewall interface and that might perhaps be the cause of the missing message boxes from Outpost. Stopping (terminate) and restarting the WebShield provider might give the firewall a second chance to detect WebShield's connections....

Also, there's a NNTP scanner in the Internet Mail provider. It is basically the same as for inbound e-mail scanning (POP3), but now for "News".
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2005, 09:14:10 PM »
Does he have to worry about proxy settings at all if he's using XP?

Only if he does use a proxy filter...
Make sure his browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming he's not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
The best things in life are free.

pcmd

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 06:44:12 PM »
Have same problem (aol.com e-mail printing) on multi computers.  Actually e-mail will print after 3 min. with Web Shield turned on.  Prints right away when Web Shield is turned off.  Have tried customizing Web Shield by adding *.aol.com & webmail.aol.com to the exception list.  Have also lowered Sensitivity of Web Shield from High to Normal - same affect. ??? ???