Author Topic: Avast 4.06 - caught 2 viruses in Outlook Express e-mails  (Read 7040 times)

rhmachado

Avast 4.06 - caught 2 viruses in Outlook Express e-mails
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:39:43 PM »
I just got Avast 4.06 and it caught 2 viruses in Outlook Express e-mails. Avast put all my sent items on quarantine and I need to have them at my disposal.

I read that VRDB allows to integrate infected files to their original status, but I didn't discover how to do it.

Could you help me this way?

Thank you very much

Regina

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast 4.06 - caught 2 viruses in Outlook Express e-mails
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:08:54 PM »
Hi Regina,

so avast moved the whole file Sent Items.dbx to the Virus Chest?
I recommend first restoring it back (start the Virus Chest from the avast main GUI).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rhmachado

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 09:23:29 PM »
Hi Regina,

so avast moved the whole file Sent Items.dbx to the Virus Chest?
I recommend first restoring it back (start the Virus Chest from the avast main GUI).

Hi, VLK: you mean that the virus will not be in the Sent Itens folder anymore when I restore it? I didn't do so before because I thought that the virus would also be restored.

Thank you very much. I will try to do it.

Regards,

Regina

rhmachado

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 10:01:04 PM »
Hi VLK,

I restored the sent items folder thru Avast main menu and, as I was afraid of, the virus was also restored with.
So, I sent the folder back to the Quarentine.

I don't know much about virus and engines, so, I am still waiting BASIC help to deal with this problem: how can I restore my Sent Item folder (Out look Express), without the virus - or worm? -  ("JS:seeker-le2") that infects it?

Thanks

Regina

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
How did you run the scan - with "archives" turned on or off?
I'd suggest to restore the folder, and run the scan again with archives - then the virus should be detected in the inside message, not in the folder itself.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 10:12:52 PM »
Restore the whole file, then rerun the scan, and tell me what exactly does it report?
It should be able to move just the virus, without moving the containing dbx file (provided you're using avast 4.6).

Maybe it would be helpful to post the full path that avast reports (copy it from the virus warning dialog). Isn't it like

some-path\sent items.dbx\email from: blabla subject: blabla\virus-filename.exe

?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rhmachado

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 05:03:28 AM »
Hi, Vlk:

I couldn't copy the warning Avast reported me, because I hadn't that option when I clicked with the right button of my mouse upon it;

I have Avast 4.6 HOME installed, and I couldn't open the files during scanning, because their status is BLOCKED.

So, I checked one by one of my sent e-mails and found the virus, which I deleted myself.

Could you let me know whether I can open the files during scanning? It will be usefull for a next time. Or shall I upgrade my programm into Avast Pro in order to do so?

Thanks again.

Regina

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 10:12:13 AM »
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean when saying "their status is blocked".
There shouldn't be any problem with opening the files when they're scanned...  ???
Can you explain a little more in detail, please? Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 12:00:47 PM »
Hi Regina,

If you are having difficulty with translating the error message 'their status is blocked', you might want to try this free translation service - http://babelfish.altavista.com/ enter the error message, select the From and To languages and see if that helps.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rhmachado

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 01:03:53 PM »
I partially solved my problem deleting manually a lot of sent items untill I had no more virus.

So, I still do not know how to restore the folder, in case of a new e-mail virus, if Avast behavior will still be the same - removing all the folder to Quarantine.

I tried to scan Avast with opened files, as suggested VLK, but I couldn't do that, because the Menu Default for the files is - blocked (that's how it is marked in the porguese version of the programm I have).

As I have a free version of Avast 4,6, could it be the reason for me not being allowed to change this status or is there something I did wrong or I simply did not do?

I thank any help.

Regina

rhmachado

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
Hi Regina,

If you are having difficulty with translating the error message 'their status is blocked', you might want to try this free translation service - http://babelfish.altavista.com/ enter the error message, select the From and To languages and see if that helps.

No, DavidR, I meant that the files were blocked during Avast Scan, as the Menu Default informed me.
The Scan Message reported "JS:Seeker-le2" virus or worm within
windows\applicationdata\identities\{E19A1203...........}.

I installed Avast 4.6 home free edition. Will it be the reason for having the files blocked?  Could I open them anyway?  I tried all the menu possibilities and I didn't really get how to do it. I guess you are right: that's the reason for Avast not to recognize the file where the virus was installed.