Author Topic: Avast blocks Internet Connection on Windows 8  (Read 8825 times)

Misaki2010

Avast blocks Internet Connection on Windows 8
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:35 PM »
I installed Avast Internet Security on Windows 8 and it blocked all my Internet Connections except google search engine in Internet Explorer... Skype wouldn't connect, Avast wouldn't update... Get your security suite straight on Windows 8. You say it's compatible with Windows 8 but actually it just makes you problems!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast blocks Internet Connection on Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
what antivirus did you use before avast?
did you remove it before installing avast?
is this a new computer delivered with a preinstalled trail AV?

have you run the vendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict?

Misaki2010

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
what antivirus did you use before avast?
did you remove it before installing avast?
is this a new computer delivered with a preinstalled trail AV?

have you run the vendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict?

I used Windows Defender.
Of course I disabled it (also Windows Firewall too) I'm not new when it comes to antiviruses.
It's not a new computer, I got a retail version of Windows 8 Pro 32-bit.

I removed Avast Internet Security, reinstalled it (didn't reboot), applied this patch - http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/ - restarted my computer and I had the same problem... I removed Hamachi and restarted the computer again and now it seems to be working, even through the internet connection went pretty slow. At least now I can use the internet and Skype too... hopefully the network problems will be fixed soon :( and incompatibilities with other software too because it looks to me that Avast doesn't play nice with Hamachi haha.

I'm glad I could fix it because I would hate not to use Avast, it's a great security suite and I always recommend it to my friends (until a few days ago I recommended Microsoft Security Essentials but since they lost their AV-Test certification .... well I don't feel that safe anymore with it so I came back to Avast! If there will be no more major problems with it I will definitely stick with it!

Also, thank you for trying to help me with the problem :)

EDIT: I just got a BSOD a few minutes ago and I couldn't use my internet connection anymore... I give up... I uninstalled the Internet Security suite and installed the FREE AV until the network problems are fixed... :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:43:54 PM by Misaki2010 »

Oldboy49

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
I had simmilar problems.  I fixed most by temporarily turning off Web Shield. rebooting pc then turn on Web Shield.  Worked for somethings but not others.

Windows 8 live tiles gave me the greatest grief. So for each live tile i disabled web shield, clicked on tile untill app fully loaded then turned web shield back on.   Worked for all but a hell of a chore to do individually.

Misaki2010

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
There's too much for for a stable version of an antivirus software... if it was beta I would think it's ok... I had to switch back to Windows Defender, Avast FREE Web Shield made me problems on websites... Bing.com wouldn't load, Weebly either and many others the same... I hope these will be fixed soon :( Avast is a good company and I've been using it since a few years now, until Windows 8 came out and the problems started to appear. Anyway, I wouldn't switch back to 7 for nothing in this world... well maybe for 1 million dollars ahahaha :))

iamscified

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »
I too am having intermittent internet issues.  Same issue where I can get to some websites, but not others.  I've tried disabling the web shields only, but the problem persists.  The only way I have found to resolve the issue is to disable Avast entirely.    I'm currently running version 7.0.1474 with definitions 130203-1.   I like Avast too, I hope they get it fixed soon.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »
There is a problem with windows 8 on some systems (not mine fortunately) and there is a thread here with some workarounds whilst they try to determine the problem http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108441.0