Author Topic: What "components" does avast install in my Mac and how do I stop it?  (Read 4482 times)

Cowmaster

Is there any way to install Avast without it running "always on" daemons in the background?

I just want to scan individual files on occasion manually and DO NOT want anything from Avast running on my system unless I'm just running Avast itself.

I saw during the first run of Avast, it tries to do an install of WebRep, but I skipped that but then it said it was attempting to install "components" without telling me what they were so I cancelled the installation.

Cowmaster

Re: What "components" does avast install in my Mac and how do I stop it?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
Can someone answer this please?  :P

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Is there any way to install Avast without it running "always on" daemons in the background?

The short and official answer is NO. However, purely technical it is possible to "hack" the installation and use just the parts you need...

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »

I just want to scan individual files on occasion manually and DO NOT want anything from Avast running on my system unless I'm just running Avast itself.

I saw during the first run of Avast, it tries to do an install of WebRep, but I skipped that but then it said it was attempting to install "components" without telling me what they were so I cancelled the installation.
Hallo,
the central scanning service should be always on - otherwise, you won't get daily updates, and you won't be able to do on-demand scans which utilise this service as well.
With all shields set to OFF, all relevant background components don't feed any request to this service and no CPU time is usually wasted, so yes, manual hacking is possible, but has quite limited benefit for you.
Just turn off all shields in Preferences for the same effect.
regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)