Author Topic: new here, problem with Avast anti theft  (Read 8871 times)

dewasa

new here, problem with Avast anti theft
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:38:25 AM »
Hi everyone

Not too long ago I sent an email asking for help to avast, however I received no response back. That is why I decided to post in the forums instead.

I bought a new phone, and I tried installing avast. Then I also registered for the lost mobile feature of avast. Basically if the SIM card was changed, avast would send an sms to the person I nominated when I registered with avast. In this case, my brother.

Long story short there was a few problems, so I went to my carrier and changed my SIM card. All is good now, but now each time I turn on my phone, my brother gets an sms saying my phone has been stolen....it is not stolen, its just that the SIM card was changed.

How do I stop this? This is annoying for me and my brother has been quite angry, telling me to contact avast.

Any help appreciated thank you.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: new here, problem with Avast anti theft
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:33:22 AM »
Hi,

if you call your PIN (or go to Anti-Theft via AMS), your current SIM will be inserted into the list of trusted SIMs and the messages will stop.

Filip

dewasa

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks for fast reply mate.

How exactly do I  call my PIN or go to anti theft? I have already uninstalled avast security on my mobile.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
Hi,

do you remember your PIN? Then just go to dialer, type your PIN there and press "Call" like you would if you wanted to call someone. Anti-Theft UI should appear.

Filip

binhvirile

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
And note that AMS works independence from Anti-Theft, so if Anti-Theft is still installed, you can follow Filip''s instructions.

Binh

dewasa

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 03:56:01 AM »
Thanks people.

It says my SIM was added to the trusted list.

However, when I did that, it brought me the Avast interface again. I have uninstalled avast, how come it is there? Now I am concerned that i still have avast when I am sure i have uninstalled it. I am trying to remove it completely, which I believe I have done long ago, but when I call 7557, it brings up avast interface.

How come? Avast is not even on my phone. I checked my application, it is not there.

EDIT: So somehow I feel that Avast has my private information...How do I Get rid of this? I know that the fact my PIN was added to the trusted list means Avast has my information, even though I have deleted my information. How do I remove my account completely? However, when I go to avast account it does say "Not connected to any account" Am I safe?

But then again I can still see my old username and my PIN is still there, which makes me think Avast still has my info ...

I was also able to "simulate lock" too.

Aren't they all proof that Avast still has my info? The very fact that I can see avast user interface even though I have deleted avast from my phone concerns me...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:05:51 AM by dewasa »

binhvirile

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:25 AM »
Hi dewasa,

As I told above, AMS works independently from Anti-Theft. This mean you just see Anti-Theft's interface when dialing your PIN, not AMS's interface.

avast! is an security solution, so don't worry about your private information. Up to now, AMS is my best choice for mobile security. Recommend you install again and using it.

If you have any problem, kindly post it in our forum and you will receive useful helps.

Regards,

Binh

dewasa

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
Oh ok thanks mate

So it is not AMS interface but just anti theft? Even then, why is it showing up? I have uninstalled AMS long ago.

And yes, I want to use avast....I use it on my laptop it is brilliant. But on mobile phones? I have noticed a huge drain. At first i did not believe....but i tested again and again and yes....it drains a lot of batteries since it runs on the background.

binhvirile

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
Anti-Theft works in stealth mode, which mean it does not show itself in application manager. You are still see this because Anti-Theft is already installed.

dewasa

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 06:56:27 AM »
Alright, but how do I delete it? How do I uninstall the anti theft?

binhvirile

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
Is your phone rooted?
Anyway, I recommend that you try using for few days before make a decision.

dewasa

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
No it is not rooted.

I have used it for a few weeks long ago, then i uninstalled it.

So how do I uninstall the anti theft completely?

Thanks for the help so far btw

binhvirile

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
Okay, if you want...
- Go to Device Administrators and un-check Anti-Theft (under the custom name you set).
- Uninstall the same as other apps uninstallation.

dewasa

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Hi binhvirile

I am using Samsung galaxy s3, cannot find device administrator.

When I first uninstalled avast though, I went to applications manager and uninstalled it, thats all. Now I am just trying to uninstall the anti theft too.

Thanks friend

binhvirile

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
Did you set Anti-Theft as an device manager when you set up it? What's your custom name?