Author Topic: What's wrong?  (Read 15417 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: What's wrong?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »
Two  further things now before I remove my tools and tidy up

First try windows updates and let me know if it works
Second run a final FSS scan for me please

TinaJo

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
Hi

Oh boy!  After I logged off with Avast I decided to down load most of my updates from Windows, quite a few, and when done I was coming back here to check on my last post and Internet Explorer couldn't load the page.  So I didn't think much of it then, as I mainly use FireFox as my browser, so I closed Internet Explorer and opened up FireFox to come here and I couldn't get in either.  Just shows a blank page while loading continuously.

So I got off the internet to reboot and shut down the computer to skip the installation of the Windows downloads, started back up in Normal Mode, when I got to the desktop only 3/4 of the icons appeared, tried to open Task Manager - Ctrl-Shift-Esc that would not come up at all and so I proceeded to the Start button and soon as my curser hit the Task Bar the curser changed to busy mode.

So yeah, now I'm back in Safe Mode again.  Did I do any wrong that I said in my last post?

Thank you

P.S. - I just seen the Warning when I pushed the Post button. Will run the FSS scan and post again.

TinaJo

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
Hi

Had no problem downloading the Windows Updates, just didn't install them yet.

Here is the FSS log, done in Safe Mode only.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »
Could you install all of the updates and allow to reboot to normal mode.  Once there let me know what problems there are

TinaJo

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Hi

I would install my updates if I can find them.  I show no "Notification" area (sorry, I called it the Launch area in a previous post) where the updates icon would be and I went to shut down the computer and saw no update icon on shut down.  Also went to Windows Updates site and scanned my computer for updates and only one new one showed.  I was then going to view updates on my computer at their site, but it is "grayed" out.  Tried it in both accounts.  My account screen has an "Administrator" account as computer administrator and a "Tina Jo" account as Administrator, no other accounts.  Unless I couldn't do it because I am in Safe Mode.  I don't really know.

I did try to get in on Normal Mode a couple of times and the first time I had all icons and had Avast icon spinning in the Notification area and the computer made an er-er (?) noise and then couldn't do anything.  Second time trying to get into Normal Mode the icons loaded and Avast icon - not spinning, came up in the Notification area and no noise, but when I moved my mouse down  to the Task Bar my curser was busy.

I don't have any idea where else to look to find the updates that were downloaded yesterday.

Thank you

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Hmm it does sound like a hard drive problem

Could you run windows all in one again but from normal mode this time

TinaJo

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »
Hi

How?  If and once I can get in through the Normal Mode, it will eventually freeze up or nothing will work anyhow, but I will try.

Thank you

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »
OK what we can do is run windows all in one using the clean boot method

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2.The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
5.Click the Services tab.
6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

To return to normal boot once windows all in one has completed

Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state
After you used the clean boot to resolve your problem, you can follow these steps to configure Windows XP to start normally.

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
2.Type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
3.Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
4.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

TinaJo

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »
Hi

I'M IN!!!!!!! Normal Mode that is after a couple handful of tries.  The things that are different now at start-up in Normal Mode is: I go through two Windows Logo screens instead of one (before when I thought it was repaired) and not the first time but the second time and every time after when trying to get in through Normal Mode, my desk top comes up and seconds later it like refreshes it self (disappears and reloads with everything again).  I also have my updates yet ready to install.

What do you want me to do first?  If it is the All In One, which steps?  Or install windows updates? Or both?

Will hang around for awhile.

Thank you

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
Install the updates first

The run Windows all in one bar the first three ticks resetting permissions

Once done let me know how it is behaving and we will then try to track down what is causing the problem

TinaJo

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 03:08:36 AM »
Hi

Sorry didn't get to you sooner, farming is very demanding, especially the unexpected. This is what I did today between personal daily priorities.

I don't recall what icon shows up for busy and working in background, but the ones I have for those two is a "dog w/wagging tail" and  the other is a "white arrow with a stationery hour" glass next to it which is windows default.

Also when I say # of syllable noise it is how many times that noise makes consistantly.  Here goes.

Installed Windows Updates, restarted computer (to take effect), at start-up, logged in (fast), noise shortly after log-in, got to desktop, not all things loaded in Notificaiton area, move my mouse down to Task Bar and "dog w/wagging tail" - curser showed up. Manually shut down.

Restarted a second time, again quickly typed in my password, desktop came on, refreshed, 2 syllable noise (always comes from modem), started loading icons in Notification area I thought it was good to go and I double clicked on the "All In One" and curser then was dog w/wagging tail mode and stuck.  Manual shut down.

Restarted a third time, quickly typed password, desktop w/icons came up, refreshed, 2 syllable noise and stopped loading.  No access to Task Manager using the keyboard short cut keys, no icons came up in the Notification area, and then clicked on Start button, that came up with only 2/3 of the information in it. Manually shut it down.

Restarted again fourth time, everything the same as before, brought up Task Manager, as I do this because when I click on the "Users" tab it will show the users, and in most cases including this one, it shows a blank window with nobody in it.  So I know nothing else is going to happen and shut it down.  So I shut it down.

Restarted a fifth time, everything same as before, but froze right after desktop refreshed.  Couldn't even pull up Task Manager.  Manually shut down.

Boy my curser can't even keep up with my typing.

The sixth thru seventeeen time to summarize what takes place:

- For log-in:  If I type my password quickly (which I part way through the password, Windows hesitates and then
       finishes out the password), I can get into the desktop, refreshes and shortly thereafter I get a 1 or 2 syllable noise,
       and everything stops or freezes or continues to one of the other happenings listed below.

If I type my password slow or at a steady pace I can't get into the desktop at all.

-Desktop:  Always loads icons and refreshes (reloads icons again), a fraction of a percent of the times it won't
       refresh.

Task Bar:Whether we are talking the whole Task bar (Start button, Notification area and in between those two) or
      in part (Start button), (Notification area), and in between those two points, it works to a certain point then freezes.  The
      Start button doesn't ever work when pushing it, except twice on two separate occasions which I used to log off and
      these windows popped up;
       Ending Program: realplay.exe, Ending Program: ctfmon.exe, Ending Program: nsAppShell: Event Window and
       Ending Program: explorer.exeIn turn all them ended stating they were not responding.

-Notification area:  Either no icons will load with the exception of "Safely Remove Hardware" or only part of them; Avast,
     Comodo (firewall), Safely Remove Hardware and Creative Diagnostics Agent.  No monitors icon for internet or no
     Windows update icon. Not sure if the audio icon was in there too. A couple of times when the computer freezes up the
     "clock" actually stopped keeping time.

-Keyboard:Sometimes the computer recognizes it other times can not, meaning can't use keys to do anything.

-Task Manager:Sometimes I can access it by keyboard (Ctrl-shift-Esc.) and sometimes right clicking on Task bar.

I think that's pretty much it when I finally decided I'll see if I can get into Normal Mode, since installing updates, through "Last Known Good Configuration".  It worked, so I ran All In One, the waiting for it to shut down computer when it was done, and waiting and waiting and waiting.  Well then I thought I had to shut it down, I moved my mouse and it moved choppy and slowly kind of like dragging but not leaving tracks if you know what I mean.  So I went over to the Start button which took at least a good minute to load all the items in there then I highlighted the log-off which took about 30 seconds before it highlighted so I decided to just click shutdown and after the minutes/seconds process for that to happen, from here I don't know how long it took because then the dog with the wagging tail came on. The tail alone took 3 seconds one way and 6 seconds the other way to wag.  I had to count this manually because I notice then the computer clock stopped.  So I just shut it down manually.

Restarted in Normal Mode first try, got to desktop and everything was loading slow but everything loaded.  First thing I checked was Task Manager (came up quickly) tabs, user there in that tab and went to Process tab.  I don't know if this has any bearing but since I'm here I'll throw it in.

Process tab:  System Idle Process is at 16K with a 99 under CPU column,

1 Svchost, System is at 25,416K with a 00 under CPU column,

explorer.exe is at 19,196K with a 00 under CPU column, and

Avastsvc.exe is at 11,796K with a 00 under CPU column,

Now the rest of the 40 out of 44 processes are at 1,000K thru 8,000K memory usage with a 00 under CPU column.

I then connected to the Internet, opened up IE8 - which was slow and blocky when opening and then came here.

Oh before I forget, I will be going out of State tomorrow shortly after 12:00CST and won't be home till Sunday.  I will have access to a compter while away, but just won't be able to access this one.  I'm gearing myself up believing this computer has seen it's usage and taking your word that it may be a hardware issue, well let's just say that's where I'll be this weekend is getting something from my son to copy the folders and files I absolutely need off of this computer.

Oh yeah, just remembered when I was on my computer yesterday, I went into Program Files to look at a program I downloaded years ago (Opened "My Computer", C:/, Program Files, and went into the Folder MyHeritage) and was just looking when a lightbulb came on in my head thinking "Oh yeah, I meant to do this" and pushed the "Back " arrow at the top and it jumped back to the "My Computer" window, I then pushed the "Forward" arrow and it jumped to the Program Files folder with the "MyHeritage" folder still highlighted.

Anyhow here is the log you requested.

Thank you

P.S. When uploading files after clicking the Browse button and the window opens, I can not use any buttons on the left side of the window and I can only use the drop down arrow to navigate and have to click a couple of times on the file I want to upload.

TinaJo

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 03:26:26 AM »
Hi

Sorry, reply post would not go through.  Opened up FireFox to do it, was taking a while so I checked Task Manager in Process tab and IE had over 62,000K memory usage and FireFox had over 76,000K.  I looked at Avast and it had over 35,000K.  What this means I have no clue but I don't ever think I've seen figures that high before, but then maybe I never really paid attention.

Thank you

TinaJo

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »
Hi

Had to get off as my browser IE in Task Manager was at 131,756K.  I don't know how high it will go before who knows what happens.  Anyhow some other things that I have been experiencing is when I click and drag an icon, it will open up of resize to a full screen (depending on the icon).

Also when i click on buttons it does absolutely nothing most of the time.  So I click on that button hard and slow and it will open most of the time.

I have also seen when I click on something to highlight, it will advance two steps ahead as if I double clicked two times.

Will check in periodically.

Thank you

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
noise shortly after log-in Do these sound like ticking ? As if they are it is indicative of a hard drive problem/failure imminent

Could you back up all the data from the hard drive that you need and then we will try and test the hard drive

TinaJo

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:45 AM »
Hi

I'm back home and in through Normal Mode.  You know a better way to describe the noise would be like, yes ticking as if doing a morse code, ex: dash - dot - dot or dot - dash or dot - dot.  Just really fast though.

I got everything I absolutely need on back-up, not much.  So when ever you are ready, I'm good to go.

Thank you