Author Topic: Windows Install Personalization & Computer Names (RESOLVED)  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Windows Install Personalization & Computer Names (RESOLVED)
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:13:20 PM »
Okay, so I finally had to do a Windows Reinstall on my HP Pavilion.

Now ... this is a 3rd hand computer.  It had had 2 previous owners before I got it years ago.
The person who gave it to me is the one who upgraded its original Windows 98 to the current Windows XP.
The person who gave it to me also gave me the genuine Windows XP Home CD and all its documentation.

The Windows Install was obviously under HER name all this time.

Sooo ... my question is:  During a Windows Reinstall now that the computer is in MY possession, could I have typed in MY name where it asks to personalize that Windows Install?  And likewise ... could I have given it a NEW Computer Name of MY choice?

I didn't want to take chances.  I typed in that person's name ... AND I gave it the same Computer Name that that person had given it before.  I didn't want to risk that those 2 pieces of Info would be looked at during the Windows XP Activation and that it would get shot down because there was now a new person's name and a new Computer Name.

So, what's the verdict?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:31:37 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Windows Install Personalization & Computer Names
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Yes you can do that quite happily on a clean install

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Windows Install Personalization & Computer Names
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
Oh Cool!

I was a little bit concerned on Sunday when I first went to do the Reinstall.  That person hasn't been on MyOpera anymore in quite a while.  So, while I still remembered her First Name solidly, I suddenly found myself drawing a slight blank on her Last Name.  I was, "OMG!  What if I can't remember her Last Name?  Will I be stuck NOT being able to perform the Windows Reinstall?"

The computer wouldn't Boot Up.  So it wasn't like I could go in there and look for her full name.

After about 3 minutes I remembered her Last Name.  But, then I realized there were 2 possible spellings.
Again, there I was, "OMG! ....."
But, then I remembered I had some box with a mailing label still in my closet.
So, I finally got the correct name and the global crisis was averted.  ;D

Anyway, thanks, Essexboy!
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000