Author Topic: Google redict virus - can you help remove  (Read 8092 times)

docp

Re: Google redict virus - can you help remove
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »
After all teh redirects were removed, this computer started acting weirdly. I was trying to create a new folder, to move some files to an external drive. eah time Roxio Creator 9 opened the install window, and started to install.  But this large program is already installed (was 2 years ago). When I cancelled out, then retried to create a folder (file, new, folder), then it worked. 

I rebooted the computer, and tried to delete Roxio and it's updater, which got stuck and froze in the middle.  After a reboot, i used c cleaner again and remove the Roxio Creator Suite 9 and it updater. 

After rebooting, it seems to be working, but there is a lot of hard drive activity, even when I'm only using ms publisher, or using firefox.

I'm also noticing a new, flash to black then back to windows xp screen when my XP pro starts up.  Is that normal?  Never really noticed it before.
Any ideas?  maybe the hard drive is getting too full?  I think it's a 1 TB dive with 900 GB on it.

I deleted all your tools, but would appreciate any ideas.  The second time I deleted Roxio using cCleaner, I first opener "Process viewer" and watch the msi at work and it took a long time... I think I might have not been patient the first time.

Any ideas?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
Have you run combofix on this system as the black flash may well be the boot options for recovery console

Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties in the menu.
The System Properties dialog box will open. This dialog box is also available under the System item in the Control Panel.
Select the Advanced tab.
Select the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
The Startup and Recovery dialog box will open.
Uncheck the box Time to display the list of operating systems

docp

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
Unchecked, applied and saved.  I'll reboot and see now.

docp

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 06:40:38 PM »
Sorry for the delay.

Every time I right click, I get this roxio program trying to install.
If I got to delete a file, when I right click, I have to cancel the install, then the file deletes.

Attached are the scan files. I hop I can get this figured out.

Thanks

docp

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »
Here is one more additional file of the pre-scan, aswMBR

Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »
Try this and let me know if the Roxio thing disappears

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
SRV - File not found [Auto | Stopped] -- C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN\LOCALS~1\Temp\DX9\SessionLauncher.exe -- (SessionLauncher)

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

docp

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
Here it is.
Second attached file is screen grab of what happened when i went to start clicked on local Disk, then right clicked.

Still happening.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
OK could you uninstall Roxio, if that does not cure it we will cleanup the MSI entries

docp

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:41 PM »
It was quite a challenge to remove the Roxio components. After rebooting the computer, c Cleaner did unintall it.  It still showed up in the start menu, which I turned to NO using the tools/startup feature inside c Cleaner.  (Is it okay to use cCleaner to turn off start menu items?)

The right click issue is gone.  Now when the computer starts in XP Pro, it goes through the welcome screen and proceeds to give the sound of windows coming up; Then, just before the desktop appears an error is given that says something like Microsoft C++ runtime error.  I have no screen capture software installed at this point so cannot grad that.  After several seconds that error goes away and the desktop comes up.

With every reboot, Java asks to be updated.

What is the issue with C++ run time?

thanks for the help

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
What C++ do you have installed on the system ?   Download and install the latest runtime from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5555

For Java unless you desperately need it then uninstall it
Otherwise update to the latest version http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp