Author Topic: Avast report PC Hugbug browser as suspicious  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Xanadu

Avast report PC Hugbug browser as suspicious
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »
I have been using this program since 2004.  It was fine a few days ago and today Avast tells me it is suspicious and shuts it down.  Which is good if it actually is a problem but it never was before.   I get a script error now.  I do use this graphic browser to drag and drop into other graphic programs.  I scanned the computer Sunday morning and it did not  find this file. 

File name is Drag&Drop100.x32
Program is PC Hugware/PC Hugbug Deluxe
Last modified April 30 2004

When I scan it it tells me ~no virus~

I submitted it via the virus chest.  I did not restore it yet.  I left it where it was in the chest. 

More info:
Windows 8.
Avast Free.

Offline Xanadu

Re: Avast report PC Hugbug browser as suspicious
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
Well I figure most people don't know what this program is.  There was a company that closed its door two years ago called PC Crafter.  They had artists who produced collections of images.  The PC Hugware browser is what you installed these collections to, it functioned as a search tool for the images, a viewer and enabled drag and drop into other programs.  One bonus was holding the shift key and dragging removed a white background.  This drag&drop file has never been an issue with Avast in all the years I have been using it, so I am assuming a definition update changed a footprint or something that it was looking at.  It is not telling me its infected - it is telling me it is suspicious.  The big red box popped up when I went to launch the browser.  I now am getting a script error. 

I guess what I need to know is how to tell if it is safe to restore this file, if I should add it to exclusions or what to do so I can use the software again.  When I right click and tell it to scan the file IN the virus chest, the result is ~no virus~.