Author Topic: Why do I get a message saying some files were unscannable?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline barb4400

Why do I get a message saying some files were unscannable?
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
This is the file that avast cannot scan and I cannot rename or delete.

button_28_apply>png

So is this a virus or what? I haven't ever saw this before. Thank You for any help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why do I get a message saying some files were unscannable?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »
Avast gives you the reason why it can't be scanned, what was that reason ?

I suspect that this was archive was password protected ?

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it). Some program updates alsp protect their files, adobe flash player being, one and possibly related to this file.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the full locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Essentially you don't want to delete or rename something just because it can't be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline barb4400

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:56:55 AM »
Thank You very much for replying.

I scanned the computer again and got the same thing. This is what I managed to learn:

File Name:
C:\Program Files\Hewelett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\res\button_28_apply>png

Error:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect(123)

So, I guess it isn't a virus then, just something with the computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
If your full path is correct then there should be a . (period) rather than a > (greater than) character before the png (button_28_apply.png), that character in a file or folder name may be considered incorrect syntax by 'the windows file system.' I believe it is that which is generating the error that prevents avast from scanning it.

No I don't believe it is a virus, just something that can't be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Deuces

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
In relation to this topic: I have a whole slew of flashplayer files that come up uncannable due to password protection; this is a lengthy scrollable list.  I am also having problems with computer wanting to randomly do a disc scan, the delete and retrieve different named folders; after doing so I can go back on but computer freezes up at times causing me to have to do a hard-log off.  I then can go back and use it for lengthy periods before it happens again, either requiring the disc scan at start up or not.  More problem in wife's side, freezes up faster, to the point of avoiding it for now.  Both sides of computer show no adware or malware and after doing scan on my side overnight, getting that lengthy scrollable list of unscannable files, I then did it again and was given "no threats found" msg.

If anyone can help me with my problems of which I have had none of this sort for many years, it would be greatly appreciated; TYVM in advance.