Author Topic: REMOVING QUICKTIME FROM STARTUP  (Read 3701 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

REMOVING QUICKTIME FROM STARTUP
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:05:24 PM »
Hi!
I have Windows 2000 Professional on a Pentium II p.c., and I'm trying to speed up my startup.  One of the programs that auto-launches is Quicktime, which I always have to close afterward.   I've used the Startup feature in Tune-Up Utilities and deleted it from the  item menu, which works for a couple of days, after that Quicktime is right back even after deleting via Tune-Up.  Since the deletion isn't "taking" apparently, I was wondering if anyone knows the specific file name so I could go in and disable it in the windows startup.  Now remember I don't want to remove the program, because obviously it's needed, I just don't want it auto-starting.  Any suggestions?

Scorpioninblue

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: REMOVING QUICKTIME FROM STARTUP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:16:48 PM »
Just remove the startup entry from the registry.
You can do it with HijackThis.

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:18:21 PM »
I don't know about that Eddy, from what I understand Hijack This is not a tool for the inexperienced, and I'm not a computerphile on that level, if it involves a lot of probing in the registry, I think I'll just leave things well enough alone, I don't have the program disk and if the wrong thing gets deleted, well I'll be high up the creek without a paddle!!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »
- Start HijackThis
- let it scan your system
- put a checkmark in front of:
   O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
- click "fix selected
- close HijackThis

That will do what you want.

PigDog

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »
Go to my computer and control panel.  Right click on the Quicktime icon and uncheck the run at startup option.

PigDog