Author Topic: Avast interface showing two screen saver scans  (Read 4711 times)

The Rabbit

Avast interface showing two screen saver scans
« on: December 25, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »

Hi!

I'm not quite sure when this showed up in the main 'SCAN NOW' tab of the 'SCAN COMPUTER' of the Avast! interface but, it reads that there are two screen saver scans.
I suspect it appeared when the software was upgraded to version 6 or later.
Not noticing since the placeholders are at the bottom of the list and no need to adjust.
My first discovery was when I did a singe file scan from a desktop right click. The Screensaver scans showing up in the dialog along with the select folder scan.

I would prefer one since that is default.

Listed as:
'Screen Saver Scan'
and
'Copy of Screen Saver Scan'

Both have all the same info in the settings
I'm not sure they are actually two different scans or shortcuts to the same scan.
Would they interfere with each other?
I where would I look?
How to remove the Copy?
If removal is not possible can I safely change the settings in the copy so it is isolated without affecting the originally installed Scan or the software effectiveness in general or would a complete un-install/re-install be required?

I have the screen saver scan set to run automatically on the machine through the windows 'Display Properties". The scan appears to be doing its job, as it recently found a suspicious file.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast interface showing two screen saver scans
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
You can try going to settings\basic and untick the box for show special scans reboot and then re apply that setting if you wish and see if you get the double scans shown again.

The Rabbit

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
I did as you suggested. It reappeared.
There was no effect, the second instance of the screen saver scan returned as it was before.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
Which avast!..??
Which version..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

The Rabbit

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
Sorry

Avast! free version up to date

Paranoiac

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
Hello All,

I just noticed the same exact problem today.  The Custom Scan delete link-button is missing.  As suggested above, tried cycling the visibility of the special scans resulting in no change.

avast! FREE ANTIVIRUS 7.0.1474

Windows 7 64

Thanks for your time and please, help!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:30:10 PM by Paranoiac »

Paranoiac

Bump
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Anybody, help?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
Can you try a repair of Avast
Control Panel > Add/Remove (Programs and Features)
Select Avast
Select repair

Paranoiac

Sorry that I already uninstalled.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
essexboy

Many thanks for your help.

I wish I thought of that simple solution, because I had encountered and used it before for other apps.  I wish I could test it, but I already got impatient and scared and uninstalled avast and substituted it with a competitor's product.  I hope to remember what you told me for next time I have one of these problems, for other programs and for avast.  I found Avast far more useful than the competition when I had it and still have not found an adequate substitute.

One possible clue that I have about what may have gone wrong is that a few weeks ago I made an avast screensaver scan shortcut and used it a few times.  I then deleted it, and fine tuned the options for the screensaver scan, but unfortunately for some days I did not pay attention for anything out of the ordinary at the bottom of the scans choices sheet.  A week or two later I noticed the offending item.  Thus, maybe independently using the screensaver scan caused the duplicate and so it was ok?  Because I am very busy, currently I do not feel like trying to replicate the problem, but if it comes up again I will try to remember to report right here.  I wish I knew, if The Rabbit also made a screensaver shortcut and used it prior to his duplicate appearing.

To everyone who even only read posts in the thread,

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:53:53 PM by Paranoiac »