Author Topic: Win update problem (again sorry)  (Read 4036 times)

John-

Win update problem (again sorry)
« on: February 23, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »
I know I have asked this one before during the beta testing in the betaforum but today I got message from xp that there was a update available, I accepted, and it didn't seem like to download anything at all.
I waited for half a minute and then I deceide to turn off "webshield" and then it was installed in no time,....

I am using Avast Home Edition 4.6 latest build and vps
Windows XP Pro SP2 - firewall SP2 enabled and SMC NAT firewalll from router active,... - DSL connection

Basically I haven't changed anything in the webshield settings except for "high" and add URL *.pif?

I did NOT receive a "block sreen" from Avast! Cause I tried to access the win updated site through  firefox and IE,...and it showed the requested update.  I haven't experienced any other problems with downloading an/or updating software,...except with M$ patches,....

kantjer

Re: Win update problem (again sorry)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 07:46:35 PM »
Same problem here, I also had this problem with the beta and again earlier today. Disabling Web Shield solved the problem.

I'm using Outpost Firewall, on an other system running Sygate everthing works OK.

John-

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:49:08 PM »
I just added "ashwebsv.exe" to the accept list in the Windows SP2 firewall,... I will see if this helps,...

thomas1036

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 07:54:28 PM »
Yeah, I had the same problem, when I updated my Windows XP (SP2) manuelly. But my auto-update worked perfectly. That's really strange...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:23:35 PM »
Are we talking about the browser-based Windows Update or the silent Windows Update service?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

thomas1036

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »
About the browser-based update...

Here again:
I wanted to update manuelly (Microsoft NET Framework, etc...). I clicked on install. Then nothing happened. Then I turned off avast! and the download began immediately.

kantjer

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 09:01:11 PM »
I had it with both the browse-based as with the automatic update in WinXP.
I got the yellow symbol in the taskbar that an update was available but download stayed on 0%, the momend I shutdown Web Shield the download began.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 09:08:17 PM »
Hmm, I just tried it and it worked perfectly... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

John-

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 09:14:28 PM »
I had it with the "silent update" really. But now I added the service off avast in the SP2 firewall,...and I will see what happens,...