Author Topic: Avast & and W7 Defender  (Read 2777 times)

werewolf13

Avast & and W7 Defender
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »
Can Avast and Windows Defender both be active at the same time? In other words both proving real time Malware protection?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast & and W7 Defender
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
If you want them too they are compatible but I in all honesty Defender is rubbish and best disabled, it's an absolute disgrace when it come to detections and is a total waste of resources ( Does that answer your question :) )

Add Malwarebytes for secondary scans.

werewolf13

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
I used MalwareBytes once.

It killed my system. After running it the 1st time I could no longer start windows 7. Win7 went into major repair mode, didn't work. Tried the advanced repair mode and went back to a restore point over two months old and still no joy.

Had to wipe the HDD and start with a whole new installation of Win7.

Seeing as how MalwareBytes is so popular I imagine I did something wrong when running it. All I know for sure is that it ran once. I did a reboot and W7 would never start up again.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
I used MalwareBytes once.

It killed my system. After running it the 1st time I could no longer start windows 7. Win7 went into major repair mode, didn't work. Tried the advanced repair mode and went back to a restore point over two months old and still no joy.

Had to wipe the HDD and start with a whole new installation of Win7.

Seeing as how MalwareBytes is so popular I imagine I did something wrong when running it. All I know for sure is that it ran once. I did a reboot and W7 would never start up again.

Yes that does sound like you did something wrong. I have used Malwarebytes for years on XP and now also on Windows 8 with 'never an issue'.
If all settings are left on "default" and nothing is changed then your experience is hard to understand, but I certainly can understand why one would never want to use it again. Having said that, I think there was something else going on. ???

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
I've not heard of Malwarebytes doing that before and I've been using it for years now and it's recommended to all who show up here.