Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

New Avast update is causing havok with my Internet conn! [ZA Privacy Settings]

(1/1)

Marekfreak:
Hi,

After todays new update, I began having problems with my broswer (IE latest build), and for sum reason WIN XP informs me of limitations on my Internet connection. A lot of web pages of various sites simply did not open. I would refresh the paeg would pop up then dissapear, and I would receive the "The page cannot be displayed" error.

Now I have used updated versions of Spybot, Ad-aware, Spyblaster, Zonealarm, Avert and I have used all these programs to check what the problem could, since I suspected Spyware or a virus infection. However, I have tracked this problem directly to Avast.

When I disable Avast these problems dissapear and I can browse withotu any hassles, download, post etc, etc. I blocked Avast! Web Scanner in Zonealarm and received the following for sum reason:

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.
HTTP 504 - Gateway timeout

avast! Web Proxy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, contacted the upstream content server, it did not receive a timely response.

GET http://www.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTB2MXQ5MTU3BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEdGVzdAMwBHRtcGwDaW5kZXgtaWU-/r/sx/*-http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=master+browser+stopped&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8

should Avast be doing this. I re-eanbled (allow option in ZA) for Avasts Web Scanner and once again the "The page cannot be displayed" error appears. I stop the on-access protection in Avast and these issues suddenly dissapear. As I have mentioned above these problems began after I restarted Avast after the update as requested.

Please let me know what info I can provide for your convenience in order to determine if it is indeed Avast that is causing these problems?

Edit: I have read the ashWebSv.exe related posts and my Firewall asked for permission to have this service access the net (after restart), which I have allowed and, which I would usually do manually as well. I have checked "Program Control" under ZA to ensure I have Avast checked to "Allow" web access.

EDIT 2:
--- Quote from: Vlk on February 22, 2005, 09:58:47 PM ---Don't change the 80 value - it will effectively disable WebShield filtering HTTP traffic.
What are your Privacy settings in ZA? Please note that the current version of WebShield doesn't work if you have any of the ZA privacy settings (Cookie Control or Ad Blocking) set to High level.

Thanks
Vlk

--- End quote ---

My private settings in ZA are on High. Why is the Webshield having problems with my settings in ZA. Is it an Avast related bug/error or ZA. If I have to chose preference over, which program to run, I think I will give ZA higher priority for now. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Vlk:

--- Quote ---My private settings in ZA are on High. Why is the Webshield having problems with my settings in ZA. Is it an Avast related bug/error or ZA. If I have to chose preference over, which program to run, I think I will give ZA higher priority for now. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
--- End quote ---

It's hard to tell if it's avast or ZA related bug/error. Per se, there's no bug in either of those two (as far as I can tell). It's just incompatible with each other.

We're currently investigating ways to solve this issue.

Thanks
Vlk

Marekfreak:
Thank you. I had to disable both the Cookie Control and Ad-blocking settings in ZA and this seems to work. (PS: ZA ver 5.5.062.011 full licensed ver, WIN XP SP2).

Vlk:
You may also try the workaround outlined here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0

This should work even with ZA Privacy settings set to any level.

Thanks
Vlk

DavidR:
Firefox has both cookie handling an ad blocker (plus extensions for inreased functionality), so you could use that and having them switched of in ZA wouldn't be a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version