Author Topic: avast stopped working  (Read 3050 times)

wolveaw

avast stopped working
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:34:47 AM »
Hi,

I noticed tonight that avast stopped working.  In fact, the attached message states that it has stopped.  When I click on the Fix Now button or start now link, nothing happens.  My service doesn't expire until Nov.  It will not allow me to update or perform other functions like starting the Network Shield or Web Shield. 

Please help.

Anthony

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
Can you please try running a repair, go to remove programs and click on avast as to uninstall it - you will be presented with a screen where you'll have the option to choose repair, run the repair and reboot when completed.

wolveaw

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »
I tried the repair and reboot but nothing changed. Should I uninstall then reinstall?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
Why not, don't forget to run the avast removal tool after uninstalling avast so that when it's re-installed you'll have a clean install.

YoAdrien

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
I just experienced the same exact thing about an hour ago....and the "Fix Now" doesn't work, nor does going to "uninstall programs" and clicking on "repair". It still won't start.  All I get is an offer to upgrade for 57% off in the Avast window below the "fix now" button.  I'm not sure what the Avast removal tool is (to ensure a clean install) so I guess I'll switch to another antivirus until I have time to figure it out.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »
I just experienced the same exact thing about an hour ago....and the "Fix Now" doesn't work, nor does going to "uninstall programs" and clicking on "repair". It still won't start.  All I get is an offer to upgrade for 57% off in the Avast window below the "fix now" button.  I'm not sure what the Avast removal tool is (to ensure a clean install) so I guess I'll switch to another antivirus until I have time to figure it out.
The avast removal tool is here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility best to run this in safemode after a normal uninstall, if the normal uninstall doesn't work then proceed to safemode and run the tool for all versions of avast ever installed.

Offline sfxpro200

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
I also had the same problem, the repair did not fix the problem but avast seems to be ok after a complete reinstall except my quick scan speed has gone from 3min to half an hour, this all happened after a windows vista update. I have reset all my settings but that hasn't changed my quick scan speed, does anybody have an idea why the scan speed has become so slow.