Author Topic: Avast takes 7 hours to scan 190 GB  (Read 4217 times)

Flamo

Avast takes 7 hours to scan 190 GB
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »
I have 2 desk top computers,  one runs Vista with 300 GB to scan and takes three hours.  The other has 7 with 150 GB to scan and takes 7 hours.  Why does the one running 7 take so long?  It also logs errors (Ach is password protected ) and Avast won't allow me to delete them.  Any help???  Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast takes 7 hours to scan 190 GB
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »
No one can really answer your question as we have nothing to work with.

e.g. what scan you are running and if you have made any changes to the default settings, which it sounds like, scanning archives and the time it takes ?
System information such as the CPU and RAM on the system will also help ?

Why should you delete files that can't be scanned, all it is saying is here are a bunch of files that couldn't be scanned and the reason why. It isn't saying they are infected, suspect, just that they can't be scanned.

Some examples of the file names and file locations help determine why avast couldn't scan them and if they are legitimately password protected ?

There are many legit programs and reasons to password protect files/folders.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
It also logs errors (Ach is password protected ) and Avast won't allow me to delete them.
wrong.....you can delete them the normal way.....but as David say, why?
avast is a virus program and will only take action on infected files   ;)

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
obviously this elapsed time is not normal. Several factors influence the speed of the scan-virus

Depending on the configuration of your computer anti-virus will be slower to occupy a lot of memory when performing the scan.
more is this you already tried leaving only the anti-virus scan of suing?
because when you play, and do other activities take up much memory and makes it slower, at least here's how

scanning depends on many variables: the computer, the AV you use and the type of scanning you do. If you make only partially (choose folders) is MUCH faster, but ... if you have many files and folders and want a complete scanning takes longer ..
I do a FULL scanning every week and takes about two and a half hours!

This will vary with av, pc performance, and the amount of files on pc

Ddm5

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:03:14 AM »
Take me for instance, I've got a pretty decent gaming computer, look at my sig and you'll see, it takes me 30-40 seconds to do a quick scan of 18.6Gb, Takes anywhere in the region of 6-8Minutes to do 60-80Gb. So most likely it depends on the computer itself.

khairoulikhwan2012

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:53:43 AM »
Depending on your computer's memory and speed. You might need to close some programs that are unnecessary during avast! is scanning your computer. I also have some archived files that has been protected by password. The archived files is the system's file. That's why the archived file has been protected by password and can't be deleted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
Guys, no point in expanding this topic or speculating as to the cause, we need to wait for the OP to answer the questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
Well, i've just passed 200GB of scanned data in 36 minutes. It's still scanning as it's a 2TB drive though...

Core i7 920 @ 4,2GHz, 6GB RAM and WD caviar Black 2TB HDD.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog