Author Topic: ' Exception ' for my Website Editor?  (Read 5568 times)

JoeWood

' Exception ' for my Website Editor?
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
I'm having problems with my site editor, Adobe Contribute. I'm not able to Publish new content. I'm thinking Avast Free might be blocking it from Publishing the new content I've added.

is there any place in Avast I can put Contribute in as an Exception? Maybe in one of the Shields?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:57:46 PM by JoeWood »

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
Re: ' Exception ' for my Website Editor?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
Double-click "Avast" icon in the system tray to open the user interface.

Step 2

Click the "Real-Time Shields" tab on the left and then click the "Web Shield" item.

Step 3

Click the "Advanced Settings" to open the Web Shield settings window.

Step 4

Click "Exclusions" left.

Step 5

Click once on the "enter address" during the "URLs to exclude" section and enter the URL of the site.

Step 6

Click the "Add" button to add the site to the list

try to apply the same settings and also in Script Shield,behavior shield.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:37:41 PM by jefferson santiag »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
@ jefferson santiag
I have no idea what you are trying to achieve here , but it isn't relevant to the OPs question. The url string you gave is for the webrep accessing avast.com for site information and that won't exclude Adobe Contribute. Use of the crop feature in your image editor wouldn't go amiss with these massive images (even if they were correct).

@ JoeWood
Quote from: link=topic=114848.msg894058#msg894058 date=1360604060
I'm having problems with my site editor, Adobe Contribute. I'm not able to Publish new content. I'm thinking Avast Free might be blocking it from Publishing the new content I've added.

is there any place in Avast I can put Contribute in as an Exception? Maybe in one of the Shields?

With your site editor are you working off-line then uploading to your site ?
How is this uploading done, ftp program upload or internal upload function within Adobe Contribute ?

Are you getting any errors displayed ?

I know nothing about Adobe Contribute editor other than what I have googled:
Adobe® Contribute® 6.5 software is a powerful web publishing and website management tool that integrates authoring, reviewing, and publishing in an easy-to-use WYSIWYG HTML editor. Increase web publishing productivity while simplifying oversight and approval tasks. Contribute 6.5 also includes support for HTML5 and JQuery mobile.

This sort of answers my question 2 it is using HTML then it would be redirected through the web shield local proxy.

Two options:
1. in the Web Shield, Expert Settings, Main Settings, check the 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only,' see image1.
2. in the Web Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, scroll down to the Processes to exclude and enter the full path to the Adobe Contribute executable.

The second option is the better of the two as it doesn't prevent other non-browsers or not well-known browsers from having their http traffic scanned, protecting your system.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:58:58 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JoeWood

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »
OK went to webshield exclusions, then to processes to exclude, and entered
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Contribute CS3\Contribute.exe

is that the full path? I just did that, I'll see if it helps.

not sure what offline means, but I try and Edit a page on my site (adding new text and images), then publish it using FTP, but I don't see the changes I made. Don't see any errors.

I'm just trying to troubleshoot my publishing problem, been working with Adobe on this and thought I might try adding the exclusions in Avast to see if it helps. I already checked my Windows Firewall and Contribute is already listed in the exclusions.

thanks for jumping in here David! Should I remove those exclusions I made, suggested by Jefferson?

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
@ jefferson santiag
I have no idea what you are trying to achieve here , but it isn't relevant to the OPs question. The url string you gave is for the webrep accessing avast.com for site information and that won't exclude Adobe Contribute. Use of the crop feature in your image editor wouldn't go amiss with these massive images (even if they were correct).

@ JoeWood
Quote from: link=topic=114848.msg894058#msg894058 date=1360604060

With your site editor are you working off-line then uploading to your site ?
How is this uploading done, ftp program upload or internal upload function within Adobe Contribute ?

Are you getting any errors displayed ?

I know nothing about Adobe Contribute editor other than what I have googled:
Adobe® Contribute® 6.5 software is a powerful web publishing and website management tool that integrates authoring, reviewing, and publishing in an easy-to-use WYSIWYG HTML editor. Increase web publishing productivity while simplifying oversight and approval tasks. Contribute 6.5 also includes support for HTML5 and JQuery mobile.

This sort of answers my question 2 it is using HTML then it would be redirected through the web shield local proxy.

Two options:
1. in the Web Shield, Expert Settings, Main Settings, check the 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only,' see image1.
2. in the Web Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, scroll down to the Processes to exclude and enter the full path to the Adobe Contribute executable.

The second option is the better of the two as it doesn't prevent other non-browsers or not well-known browsers from having their http traffic scanned, protecting your system.

As I do not speak in English, I can not suggest
and I was just giving an idea of what could be done :-\

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »

not sure what offline means, but I try and Edit a page on my site (adding new text and images), then publish it using FTP, but I don't see the changes I made. Don't see any errors.

I'm just trying to troubleshoot my publishing problem, been working with Adobe on this and thought I might try adding the exclusions in Avast to see if it helps. I already checked my Windows Firewall and Contribute is already listed in the exclusions.

thanks for jumping in here David! Should I remove those exclusions I made, suggested by Jefferson?

I just quoted an example of what should be done, you can override the location by adobe Contribute
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:42:40 AM by jefferson santiag »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »

Yes that is the full path to the executable. But I have to assume that this is the actual file that does the uploading as I don't know anything about the program. Try stopping and restarting the web shield or reboot to see if that process exclusion does the job.

Off-line means you work on the files on your system rather than on the internet/live site and then upload them. If that is how you do it - The question is what process uploads/ftp's them to your site if it is contribute.exe or another ftp program ?

The avast web shield doesn't normally monitor ftp traffic as it uses a different protocol and usually different ports from the standard html ports. The fact that you aren't getting any errors is a good sign, but you don't say what those errors were and that is what I asked before as it helps get an understanding of where the problem might be ?

Yes you should remove those particular exclusions Jefferson gave as they were wrong for your problem.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:47 AM »
@ jefferson santiag
<snip>

As I do not speak in English, I can not suggest
and I was just giving an idea of what could be done :-\

In which case if you don't understand the question don't try to give an answer, even in explanation/idea of what could be done as that was wrong and just misleads the Original Poster.

JoeWood

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
Sorry, thought I had replied ..

so it doesn't look like it's a conflict with my web editor, something else, but I'm glad I have it in the proper Exclusions now. Thanks for the advise :-)

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »
for you too.I hope you understood what I was saying ;)

also thank the council by DavidR
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:44:58 PM by jefferson santiag »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Sorry, thought I had replied ..

so it doesn't look like it's a conflict with my web editor, something else, but I'm glad I have it in the proper Exclusions now. Thanks for the advise :-)

You're welcome.

JoeWood

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
Yeah thanks to you both!

say I have a firewall question going, if you can offer any advice on that?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=115019.0