Author Topic: [Answered] FREE silent firewall works w/ avast?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline MayuraDeSilva

[Answered] FREE silent firewall works w/ avast?
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »
Hi,

I've been looking for FREE firewalls to use with avast! Antivirus Free.

I've gone through some forum topics here already and got some recommendations ~ PersonalFirewall, OutPost, Comdo, Online Armor

This post has been very helpful too ~ http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

I'm much interested in knowing "What would be similar to silent firewall in avast! IS?" :)

I just love the way how avast! Firewall works without buggy pop ups. Mostly my concern is, as my PC is a shared computer, my brothers don't know what to do when some firewalls ask whether to Allow or Deny applications to continue.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:56:55 PM by Mayura »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: FREE silent firewall works w/ avast
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:16:49 PM »
Posts copied over from other thread

craigb
 All of them can be completely silent if you turn off the hips/program monitoring

Pondus
as you already noticed, avast and firewall have been asked hundreds of times, so you should find lots of suggestions if you search the forum

here is one. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=115019.0

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
Thanks craigb :) Sorry, it was posted on an irrelevant child forum earlier and reported immediately to moderators.

craigb: All of them can be completely silent if you turn off the hips/program monitoring

I didn't know that mate :) I've installed OA and noticed HIPS can be disabled there. I'll do.

Pondus: as you already noticed, avast and firewall have been asked hundreds of times, so you should find lots of suggestions if you search the forum

here is one. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=115019.0

Thanks Pondus :) I've been through that topic when I explore the forum. I just wanted to know what is quite similar to avast! silent firewall. As craigb suggested turning HIPS off, I'm gonna try it out.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
Your welcome :)

I didn't even realise you had posted in the beta section when I replied until Pondus mentioned it and once you changed your post to here it was simple to transfer over and clean up.

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
It works like a charm craigb :) Using COMODO firewall right now w/ avast and HIPS was turned off automatically in settings though.

Thanks again :)

Cheers...