Author Topic: Adding memory to improve Avast speed?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Jimmy9190

Adding memory to improve Avast speed?
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:45 AM »
I use Avast Free Version 7.0.1474, my computer is less than a year old, it is a name brand desktop with 4GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive. It has a decent dual core 2.8 gHz processor. I have 824 GB of free space on my hard drive. Most of the used hdd space is taken up by my 38GB Itunes library.

I like Avast very much, it is the very best AV I have ever used, free or paid. However, I would like to increase my start-up scan and computer boot-up time, and would really like to increase the speed at which web pages and emails load. Avast works fine, I would just like to increase the speed a bit so there is less lag time when visiting web sites or reading email.

I also have a lifetime paid subscription to Malwarebytes Pro with real time scanning. I followed a great post here in the forum and excluded Avast and MBAM from each other in each program's settings. I have gone into msconfig and turned off all unnecessary programs at start-up. I used CCleaner and de-fragged my registry and have optimized my hard drive too. I am no computer expert but have done all I know to do trying to increase speed when Avast is scanning each web page, email or file I use.

Has anyone added RAM to their computer to increase the speed of Avast? If so, what were the results? Did it make a difference or was it a waste of time and money? I can get 4GB of memory at a local store for $45.00 but really wanted to see if anyone here knows whether it would work, or if maybe there are other exclusions I might add to increase speed. I don't really want to monkey around with exclusions without asking about it here first.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jimmy

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:20:07 AM by Jimmy9190 »

Offline Jimmy9190

Re: Adding memory to improve Avast speed?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
Well I guess I have answered my own question and I feel a bit foolish now. A few days ago I downloaded and tried another AV program, just to see if it was any better or worse than Avast. The other program was nowhere near as good as Avast. I removed the other program, reinstalled Avast and MBAM and set up the exclusions and msconfig start-up programs and went back online. That was when I noticed my system was running a bit slower than normal, so I posted here about the problem. Then it dawned on me to re-start my computer, I did that and now the system is zipping right along again, and there is no more lag time between web sites or emails.

Avast is a great AV program, whether free or paid. I am excited about version 8 but I want to wait until all beta testing is done and bugs worked out before I change over to it. As for now I am doing fine with Avast 7. 

Thanks,

Jimmy
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:51:03 PM by Jimmy9190 »

XerjieDrex

Re: Adding memory to improve Avast speed?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »
I Have 2.50 GHZ (Intel iCore 5) And 4 GB Of RAM , Both Installed MBAM Pro And AVAST IS 7 Compared To My Old Laptap 1.8x GHZ And 1 GB RAM

And All I Can Say "Better And Higher Processor Speed And RAM = Faster Performance"
That Is  ;)