Author Topic: Internet Update... again.  (Read 2631 times)

oudalrich

Internet Update... again.
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:37:24 AM »
First of all, let me say that I find Avast's internet updater by far the best in every respect among the three free AV programs I have used (the other two being Antivir and AVG). There are, however, a few annoying glitches.
I am on dialup and frequently connect to the internet for just a few seconds to check for new mail. Often, when I disconnect, Avast has not finished checking for updates, which results in an error message. Some indication of the status of the checking/downloading process would be very handy here so I don't disconnect too early.
After such an error has occurred, it would be nice if one could start the update manually. However, the "Update now" links (or text buttons) in the Avast settings seem to do nothing on my system (Windows 2000 SP 4). Launching "iAVS Update" via a right-click on the Avast icon seems to download the whole virus database (1.8 MB last time I tried it) instead of just the new entries.
Also, Avast did not notify me of version 4.6 being available, though I set it to "ask when update is available" (don't know the exact wording, I use the German version) in the program update options.
And another thing: error messages (the ones appearing in the lower right corner of the screen) seem to stay there forever unless you click on them, which is annoying if they occur frequently. Update notifications, however, disappear very quickly. If you don't happen to be looking at the screen while they're there, you won't get the update. I tried changing this by altering the ErrorDlgTimeout and RespondTimeout settings in avast4.ini, but obviously these settings don't do what I thought they did, as nothing changed.

Oh, and thanks for this otherwise wonderful piece of software!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Internet Update... again.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 11:48:21 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the avast forum.

am on dialup and frequently connect to the internet for just a few seconds to check for new mail. Often, when I disconnect, Avast has not finished checking for updates, which results in an error message. Some indication of the status of the checking/downloading process would be very handy here so I don't disconnect too early.

Sure. :)
avast -> Settings -> Update (Basic) -> Details -> Show Icon in Task bar tray.

After such an error has occurred, it would be nice if one could start the update manually. However, the "Update now" links (or text buttons) in the Avast settings seem to do nothing on my system (Windows 2000 SP 4). Launching "iAVS Update" via a right-click on the Avast icon seems to download the whole virus database (1.8 MB last time I tried it) instead of just the new entries.

This might've been caused by the fact that the data were trashed because of the (abruptly) interrupted Internet connection. Anyway, if the command isn't doing anything, it usually means the previous update attempt hasn't finished yet. You may "kill" the ongoing update by killing the "avast.setup" process in the Task Manager (brutal, but works).

Also, Avast did not notify me of version 4.6 being available, though I set it to "ask when update is available" (don't know the exact wording, I use the German version) in the program update options.

You're too impatient!  :)
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8057.msg66267#msg66267 for details

And another thing: error messages (the ones appearing in the lower right corner of the screen) seem to stay there forever unless you click on them, which is annoying if they occur frequently. Update notifications, however, disappear very quickly. If you don't happen to be looking at the screen while they're there, you won't get the update. I tried changing this by altering the ErrorDlgTimeout and RespondTimeout settings in avast4.ini, but obviously these settings don't do what I thought they did, as nothing changed.

Sorry, this duration is currently not configurable..

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

oudalrich

Re: Internet Update... again.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Vlk.

avast -> Settings -> Update (Basic) -> Details -> Show Icon in Task bar tray.
I tried this setting, of course, but the icon only appears when the checking and downloading is already finished (at least it was this way with 4.5). So this icon seems to indicate the copying of files etc. that is going on on my machine rather than the preceding internet activity, which is what I'd need.

This might've been caused by the fact that the data were trashed because of the (abruptly) interrupted Internet connection. Anyway, if the command isn't doing anything, it usually means the previous update attempt hasn't finished yet. You may "kill" the ongoing update by killing the "avast.setup" process in the Task Manager (brutal, but works).
I think it never works. It doesn't work now, for example, though the last update installed properly and there is no process of that name in the task manager. The "Update now" link in the "Program" section doesn't work either, by the way. And it didn't do anything on Tuesday, when I was still using 4.5, though 4.6 was out and my Avast installation "knew" about it (the update details window showed something like "New version ready").
You're too impatient!  :)
That is true, I'm afraid...