Author Topic: Avast keeps detecting malware in newly synched dropbox account.  (Read 12260 times)

infinityelectronix

Avast keeps detecting malware in newly synched dropbox account.
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
New laptop, this is second time I do a factory reset using recovery console.  Everytime I install dropbox Avast immediately goes berserk detecting malware in a mysterious .dropbox.cache folder that appeared in my dropbox folder.  I have the same dropbox account synched with another pc and avast does not detect anything on that one.  I have also, scanned the dropbox folder on the laptop and avast detects nothing.  MBAM detected nothing except the versions of RKill that I downloaded to try and stop whatever was causing this.  (RKill found nothing as well.) Downloaded Sysinternals' rootkit detector but it kept crashing immediately after trying to run the .exe file. (Dunno if the malware is causing this.) Possible nasty rootkit?  It's a new machine so don't really have anything that I mind losing if I have to do a factory reset again but this has got me curious as well as worried.  Could I possibly have something nasty hiding in my dropbox account? Rootkit? Trojan? I scan everything I tend to upload to my dropbox and have never found anything.  I actually see the culprit replicate quite promptly after Avast detects and quarantines it.  I've seen post here: https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=28205  that suggest that it would be okay to mark the cache folder so Avast ignores it and just have Avast monitor the rest of the dropbox folder.  Does this sound like a good idea? Don't understand why none of my other machines have this same issue.  Curious and getting aggravated.  Please help.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:14:28 AM by infinityelectronix »

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast keeps detecting malware in newly synched dropbox account.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »
Hello,
send us (virus@avast.com) the file to analyze, please. Put "False positive" to email subject.

Milos

infinityelectronix

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »
Which file would you like? Avast seems to remove every .tmp file that the dropbox.cache. folder generates.  Could it be that these are false positives?  My other machines don't seem to be giving me this issue and they are synched to the same dropbox account.  Should I just tell Avast to ignore that cache folder for now so that I can upload one of those .tmp files?

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
Any suspicious file, or file incorrectly identified as infected, can be submitted to the avast! Virus Lab for further analysis after it has been moved to the Virus Chest. Most of the collected samples are analysed by a number of automated processes. All other samples, e.g. false positive files, need to be processed manually by our virus analysts. To submit a file for virus analysis, please proceed as follows:

Right-click on the desired file (or highlighted multiple files) in the contents table on the VIRUS CHEST screen and select the option 'Submit to virus lab...' from the context menu.

Then the application form will appear, where you can select the sample type, i.e. whether you are submitting 'Potential malware' or a 'False positive', and enter as much additional information as possible. For false positive files, also try to specify the Program name1, Program publisher1, Program version1 number and the reason why you believe the file or program should not have been detected.

When all the fields are filled with the correct data, confirm your action by ticking the checkbox 'I know what I'm doing',

...then click the 'Submit' button.

A new dialog box will inform you that the file will be submitted for analysis during the next update2. Click the 'OK' button to close it.

1Note:
The Program name, Program publisher, Program version fields will be active only if the 'False positive' sample type has been selected.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:27:46 AM by jefferson santiag »

infinityelectronix

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:31 AM »
Thank you for the info.  I have submitted two of the files that got quarantined.  Please let me know if you need anymore info or logs from any tools like MABAM or OTL.

infinityelectronix

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
If it helps any, uploaded the file to virustotal.com to take a peek.  Had some hits.  Does this mean I have a legitimate threat on my dropbox account?  How come my other machine running Avast won't detect it?

https://www.virustotal.com/file/d9c3055b20a35051fd570e2961dc4df6104a6b73d83771ebe75516ab50397eb5/analysis/

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
It will be fixed in next stream update.

Milos

infinityelectronix

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
Excellent! So these are false positives?  I should mark them as such?

infinityelectronix

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »
I never heard a reply.  Am I to assume that these were false positives?  Should I be able to install dropbox and sync my account again?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »
I never heard a reply.  Am I to assume that these were false positives?  Should I be able to install dropbox and sync my account again?
as he said, they fixed the detection.....meaning detection should now be removed

spacejam

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
The Problem Was Fixed. and now it is back and just keeps popping up over and over and over. i have deleted about 400 of them from my virus chest. i submited one to the lab like shown. i cant even play Counter Strike without it closing my game.

infinityelectronix

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:45 PM »
Are you having the same issue?  It was fixed for me on an update for Avast.