Author Topic: NNTP scanning - ashMaiSv.exe crash  (Read 3419 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
NNTP scanning - ashMaiSv.exe crash
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:36:17 PM »
Performing NNTP downloading from two different news services using XNews as the client.

Downloads on server A completed.

The connection to server B stopped processing. 
Requested client to terminate the connection to server B.
Opened new connection to server B.
Crash (access violation) in ashMaiSv.exe

On checking the link: http://www2.asw.cz/~peterka/4.6.603/ashMaiSv.zip

I see it was updated on Feb 23,  I was using the Feb 22 release.  Does the dump/log have any value? 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: NNTP scanning - ashMaiSv.exe crash
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 03:00:49 AM »
Have you read THIS?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:50:38 AM »
Yes, I have and it refers to a different problem with XNews (the updating of groups).  At the time I installed the update referenced in that thread. 

Indeed, it was only after re-reading that thread (before posting) and checking the update site again that I noticed ashMaiSv.exe had undergone another update. 

It seems that the problem I encountered is probably much closer to the issue reported and updated (after my post) here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11513.0

However I was asking not for assistance or a fix, just whether the dump had any value to the Alwil team.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 04:23:01 AM by alanrf »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 02:25:33 PM »
I don't understand. Did you use the latest path and still have problems ?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 12:19:06 AM »
vojtech,

I am very sorry if I confused you - I really must resist responding to Eddy's interjections.

I reported above that I was using the patched version of ashMaiSv.exe dated 2005/02/22 when it crashed .  I had attempted to close a session that was hung (had not completed its downloads but was no longer processing).  I then started a new session to the same server.  Then the crash occurred. 

sded had reported that he needed to terminate the mail provider to get an active session to terminate but had not reported any crashing of ashMaiSv. I simply wondered if the dump/log might assist in your investigation. 

Just after my post sded reported that he had tested active session termination successfully with a version dated 2005/02/23.  I then assumed that the crash I experienced was probably covered by the 2005/02/23 version, but the post was already made.

I have not had a hung session to test with but I have tested  active session termination in XNews successfully with both 2005/02/23 and now with 2005/02/25.   

I don't understand. Did you use the latest path and still have problems ?

Your question begs another.  What is the "latest" patch?

Between my last post and yours another version of ashMaiSv.exe dated 2005/02/25 was created (but I live in the Pacific time zone and I believe you are in central Europe).

Could a sticky can be added to the forum advising us of the updated components you recommend we use until you are ready to provide a formal update via the program update mechanism?

Finally, a word of thanks for the outstanding support and responsiveness shown by the Alwil team for the new release.