Author Topic: ---SOLVED--- avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport Missing Driver ---SOLVED---  (Read 71962 times)

robmac33

For all those having problems with NDIS drivers and or are unable to install firewall driver during installation I have found a solution. This solution works on windows 7 & 8.

On Windows 7

1. Boot into safe mode with networking by repeatedly tapping F8 just after turning on your system and select "Safe mode with networking"

2. Once windows is loaded start device manager by pressing start and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter or go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager.

3. Open the properties for the NDIS driver/s that are causing a problem click update driver and select update automatically and windows should install the correct driver without getting the access denied error, as avast is not running. Repeat the process for any other NDIS drivers or unknown devices that are actually the NDIS driver that have failed to install.

4. Reboot into normal mode and hooray avast should now function correctly with all features and no annoying missing drivers.

On Windows 8

1. Booting into safe mode is not as easy on windows 8, In normal operation from your start screen type "msconfig.exe" and press enter. Select the boot tab from the top and tick safe boot and select network from underneath, press ok and reboot. If you can't boot into windows its a little trickier Windows 8 monitors the startup procedure and when problems are detected it automatically takes you to the new recovery mode. At this point you will be presented with the message: ‘Recovery. It looks like Windows didn't load correctly'. Select the advanced repair options and choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > ‘Windows Startup Settings' then Restart. Your computer will boot into an ‘Advanced Boot Options' screen in which Safe mode with networking can be selected.

2. Once windows is loaded start device manager by pressing start and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter or go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager.

3. Open the properties for the NDIS driver/s that are causing a problem click update driver and select update automatically and windows should install the correct driver without access denied error, as avast is not running. Repeat the process for any other NDIS drivers or unknown devices that are actually the NDIS driver that have failed to install.

4. Reboot into normal mode and hooray avast should now function correctly with all features and no annoying missing drivers.

If this problem occurred while avast was OK and you have uninstalled, used awsclear and reinstalled and are getting the error "Unable to install firewall driver" Simply use system restore to restore your system to a point before you uninstalled and then follow the instructions above

Hopefully this will help anyone else who is at their wits end with this problem as I have been trying to solve this problem.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:07:30 AM by robmac33 »

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
surely users helped who had problems relating
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport.
Your help is very welcome. :)

robmac33

Thanx, I had a problem finding a solution my self so I thought I'd post my findings for anyone whom is having the same problem to help find a solution easier. It took me hours and hours to find a solution it was driving me crazy, I don't normally post on forums but this problem irritated me so much. Avast support didn't help and neither did any forum thread I could find. I had to try to help others whom are also as frustrated with a product they had paid for that is not working.

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
thanks for the feedback. ;)

happytonamy

Hello,

This does not work for me.  Windows is not able to locate a driver to use.  I'm on windows 7 ultimate x64 and I'm having terrible problems with avast.  When I purchased it in November of last year it worked fine on both my desktop and laptop and now it doesn't work at all.  Is there a place to download the driver directly so I can just point to it and manually install it?

Johnny4745

Thanx, I had a problem finding a solution my self so I thought I'd post my findings for anyone whom is having the same problem to help find a solution easier. It took me hours and hours to find a solution it was driving me crazy, I don't normally post on forums but this problem irritated me so much. Avast support didn't help and neither did any forum thread I could find. I had to try to help others whom are also as frustrated with a product they had paid for that is not working.

You are correct, there wasn't any help in this forum.

One member did have the problem solved, but it was done in private, with a registry fix, that was never explained very well.

I'm glad you stuck with it and found a solution.

Johnny4745

Hello,

This does not work for me.  Windows is not able to locate a driver to use.  I'm on windows 7 ultimate x64 and I'm having terrible problems with avast.  When I purchased it in November of last year it worked fine on both my desktop and laptop and now it doesn't work at all.  Is there a place to download the driver directly so I can just point to it and manually install it?

What problems are you having?  Is it just the Firewall?

millisent81

Hi Rob, I too found this solution through stepping through the device manager instructions, unfortunately it did not work for me. Some screens show me that NDIS is fine there is no exclamation mark next to it however some screen do show an exclamation mark. Any tips on how I can get my machine fixed?? It's brand new Lenovo Ultrabook, running windows 7 with SSD. I not very tech savy and have no idea how I can fix this issue, Leneovo can't help me as they do not support Avast. I wish I could call Avast for guidance. I'm concerned I have a worm or something as I keep finding weird programs being installed.

Hope you can help me. Thanks