Author Topic: Avast Blocking email download from server  (Read 3047 times)

TheScorpion

Avast Blocking email download from server
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
Outlook Express
Firefox
Avast 7.0.1474

I have three email addresses d/loading into my email program. One from my ISP, one from a Hotmail account and one from my website account (Godaddy)
Just lately I get an error message every time when OE tries to connect with the website account. (see below)

The server responded with an error. Account: 'xxxx@xxxxxxxxx.com', Server: 'pop.secureserver.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot establish SSL with POP server 68.178.252.115:995, SSL_connect error 10054', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

If I disable Avast's mail shield 'inbound scan' a connection is made with no problem and emails are downloaded, so it seems that Avast is causing a problem. Any suggestions on how I could fix this?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Blocking email download from server
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
check the mail settings in avast mail shield

TheScorpion

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »
check the mail settings in avast mail shield

Did do. Hadn't altered anything and it was working previously.
This morning everything seems to be working fine. Haven't altered anything so don't know why it was playing up for those couple of days. Fingers crossed....

TheScorpion

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
Well, the problem is back again.  :(
The only way I can get to check for and download the emails from that account is to disable Avast's inbound scan.
The SSL Account settings in Avast for this account are
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Encryption: SSL

Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Encryption: SSL

If I delete this account from Avast's "SSL Accounts" and so allow the emails to be received, will Avast still pick up any virus that may be contained in them when they are opened in OE?  If so, then maybe that is good enough and would solve the problem. Any advice appreciated.