Author Topic: BTS autoselects action option of ignore all  (Read 3486 times)

Blackbyrd2

BTS autoselects action option of ignore all
« on: February 25, 2005, 02:39:35 PM »
Running a boot time scan immediately after install, avast found a trojan w32:gen {other} and presented the standard 8 option menu. i selected delete, #1. This worked fine, with a confirmation message that it deleted, and showed the [1] I selected immediately to the right of the word [Exit]

Later, another file came up as infected: Same trojan.
But, when I selected [1] to delete, it showed the selection was [8] which is ignore all.

Obviously, no more infected files were found. I'm currently in the middle of a manual scan, and it seems to be finding the files ok so far, but the error bothers me a bit.

I am on a Compaq Presario, running Win XP Home, with a PS2 keyboard (with all the nifty useless extra keys, though I think those are turned off) and I used the numbers above the keyboard, not the keypad.

I read a variety of 9 pages of topics from a search for "boot time scan" trying to find something similar before I posted. I hope this isn't a duplicate.

Oh, and thanks to all the experts who are (I believe) volunteering their time here. Great job, folks!

Blackbyrd2

Re: BTS autoselects action option of ignore all
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 01:07:04 PM »
Just a nudge.

Blackbyrd2

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 03:11:45 PM »
 ???

Perhaps you thought I was some stupid twit who had clicked the wrong button by mistake? I was very clear about exactly what happened, I thought.

Seems to me that this is the type of error which would attract some attention, but maybe not.

I know you folks are volunteers, but some kind of response would have been nice, even if it was; No idea; Send this to the engineers at...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 10:45:30 PM »
I've read your post since from the beggining but I do not use boot time scanning that often.
When I run two times, last week, I have the options, click the buttoms and everything works fine.
I have a PS/2 keyboard too.
How can we know? How can we reproduce your trouble?
The best things in life are free.

Blackbyrd2

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:09:19 AM »
I don't know that it can be reproduced without an infected computer.
I guess the pertinent questions would be; Is this something which is a vulnerability with particular infections, or is it a one time glitch?
Should I have redownloaded the program? Could it have been a corrupt download?
Or is it likely that a virus/worm exists which has been designed to circumvent Avast's security measures?

If it's a glitch, especially due to corrupt download, there's not much to be done.
If it's a worm which circumvents or disables portions of Avast, then it's a programming issue.

As far as my personal issue, I'm assuming I'm fine, since I have already upgraded the program, and am (presumably) clean now.

Thanks for responding. At least I know I'm not just dropping stuff into a black hole here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 12:23:05 AM »
As far as my personal issue, I'm assuming I'm fine, since I have already upgraded the program, and am (presumably) clean now.
I don't think it's a download problem, or corruption, or anything else...
Gremlins or you've clicked in the wrong button  8)
Be clean, be avast, be happy  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 03:55:57 PM »
Please send me the log file Avast4\DATA\log\aswBoot.log, unless you run the boot time scan after this, as the log file is rewritten each time.