Author Topic: I will NEVER buy another product from avast  (Read 20258 times)

Bill Bryan

I will NEVER buy another product from avast
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
I have a Windows 8 computer, with a wireless adapter.

With an avast tech support person on the phone, I installed my PAID copy of avast Internet Security. Immediately, it prevented my wireless adapter drivers from loading.

One minute I was online; then I installed my PAID product and I can't get online at all on that computer. The properties sheet for the wireless adapter in Device Manager said that Windows prevented the drivers from being installed. But when there's no avast Internet Security on that machine, the drivers load with no problem whatever.

So what did the avast tech support lady tell me?

She said that AFTER I ALREADY PAID FOR MULTIPLE LICENSES to use this product, I WOULD HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER $119 TO GET ANY HELP.

I've used avast since at least 2006, but never again. Buh bye, avast! Good luck ripping off other people in the future.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: I will NEVER buy another product from avast
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
As for the lost connection, conflicts can happen with any product, especially if you run other security apps before installing avast!.
But for the tech support, who exactly did you contact them and how? Please show us the contact webpage from where you got the tech support "contact" aka e-mail, phone number, whatever... Just so we know if you weren't contacting someone who's not even related to avast! and is maybe just selling it as reseller or something...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Bill Bryan

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
I went to this page: http://www.avast.com/support

I called this phone number: 866 951 7679

The lady was on the phone while I installed avast Internet Security. She understood 100% that it crippled my ability to go online with that computer.

But give me any help? No, not at all. Not unless I pay ANOTHER $119 on top of what I already paid for multiple copies of avast. I have avast Internet Security installed on both my sons' computers and my wife's computer and a laptop I own, in addition to this computer and the Windows 8 computer I can't use to get online any more. For many, many years I have refused to use any other product. But now I'm all done.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
I wouldn't pay either, but that is 3rd party support who are likely to try and get you to take a support package.

By far and away your best bet is to come to the forums, no hidden agenda other than to try and help other avast users for free.

I don't use the AIS version so I can't be any practical help, but there are some topics about win8 and AIS (not sure which version), but try stopping the avast Network Shield and see if that resolves your problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bill Bryan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:39 PM »
OK. How can that be 3rd party support, when it's on the avast website? That makes no sense to me.

I'll go disable Network Shield and report back.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »
The number is on the avast web site but the support calls are handled by a 3rd party and they are clearly in the wrong when asking for $119 as your case appears to full under the issues were free support is provided, see image.

I hope the network shield will resolve the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bill Bryan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »
No. It still says there's no driver installed, and when I try to install the drivers - from the Windows8 driver the manufacturer of the wireless adapter - it says it can't create a file where one already exists.

Bill Bryan

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
Now I'm on a live chat with Netgear, the mfr. of the wireless adapter. Maybe they can help.

Bill Bryan

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
This is the adapter, the Netgear A6200.

Bill Bryan

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
After spending hours on a chat with the adapter manufacturer, nothing was achieved.

If I want to use that adapter, I have to permanently uninstall avast Internet Security.

That's OK, Clamwin is free of charge. After 7 years of being a good customer, I'll have nothing to do with avast ever again in my life.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
clamwin does not have realtime protection....then you need a extra program  Clam Sentinel   http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamsentinel/

Bill Bryan

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »
Thanks, I'll remember that.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
just a question....RejZoR asked but you did not answer
since you have win8...is this a new computer?
did it come with a preinstalled trail AV?
any other security programs installed?

TDBke

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:32:57 PM »
I wouldn't give up on AIS that quickly though. There must be a reason why your system says the system is having driver issues... You can disable diffirent parts of Avast and/or reinstall it to test further what actually is wrong with the system... Issues may be there when having more then 1 AV installed, be sure only AIS is on the system

Bill Bryan

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
Yes, I know all that. I've been using AIS for a long, long time and on many, many computers. It's installed on at least 8 computers in my home right now, and when I ran a business up until Oct. 2011, I had three more there.

But on my Windows 8 machine, my wireless adapter works perfectly when AIS is uninstalled, and when I install AIS, it disables the adapter and I'm unable to get online. My adapter was working perfectly this afternoon until I called tech support and, with the tech support on the phone, I reinstalled AIS.

Zap. No more wireless adapter. No more connection to the Internet. Two and a half hours on chat with Netgear, and about a dozen messages in this thread, and at the end of it all, there's no solution. If I use AIS, I can't get online. Which, I suppose, helps prevent viruses and malware, if nobody can reach me.

I'm still outraged that support tried to cheat me out of $119. Avast chose that 3rd party support; they aren't preventing that kind of outrageous cheating of their customers; THEY OWN IT.

I won't do business with people like that.