Author Topic: I will NEVER buy another product from avast  (Read 20259 times)

Offline VojtaN

• Avast team
  • No PM please
Re: I will NEVER buy another product from avast
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
I have a Windows 8 computer, with a wireless adapter.

With an avast tech support person on the phone, I installed my PAID copy of avast Internet Security. Immediately, it prevented my wireless adapter drivers from loading.

One minute I was online; then I installed my PAID product and I can't get online at all on that computer. The properties sheet for the wireless adapter in Device Manager said that Windows prevented the drivers from being installed. But when there's no avast Internet Security on that machine, the drivers load with no problem whatever.

So what did the avast tech support lady tell me?

She said that AFTER I ALREADY PAID FOR MULTIPLE LICENSES to use this product, I WOULD HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER $119 TO GET ANY HELP.

I've used avast since at least 2006, but never again. Buh bye, avast! Good luck ripping off other people in the future.

Dear Bill,
our phone support works on the freemium basis. You can get limited free phone support, basically installation of the software and inserting license.
For all other issues there is paid subscription.
What you bought is software license if you need additional premium support then there is paid support package. For more information about our support offer please visit http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111435.0

Kind regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
Someone needs to read what is written on the avast support page (http://www.avast.com/support see more details) as it gives a different interpretation of what support is covered.

It is much more than you suggest, see image, the last point would appear to be a lot.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:20 PM »
Which still means that the "better" choice for customer service is right here on the forums. 
It's 24/7 and the best part is it's "free".  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline ProTruckDriver

• Retired USN & Truck Driver. Love Retirement Checks
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
Which still means that the "better" choice for customer service is right here on the forums. 
It's 24/7 and the best part is it's "free".  8)
I agree, this forum has helped me out with a problem for FREE!  :)
Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
 Malwarebytes Premium, AdGuard

sbedigital

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
Sorry to throw a mix-bag here, but the real problem is not AVAST. There several issues here.  When you upgrade to Windows 8, was it clean install (if you used windows xp or earlier version) or upgreade from windows 7?  A clean install of the OS should solve most issues.  Another particular problem is, by default, windows has it's own security element (i.e windows firewall, windows defender) active, so when you install Avast, Windows Defende gets disable but Firewall stays active.  Infact unkonwingly, you may be running 2 version firewall, you will have some serious problem installing or accessing networks.

In relation to OS upgrades, you should follow this steps:

• Download the latest copy of AVAST, and Latest copy of all the fault drives on your HDD
  • Disconnect from the internet, otherwise your system is wide open to the elements.
  • Uninstall your existing copy of AVAST (Use the AVAST Unistaller utility from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility)
  • Uninstall all you faulty drivers (a complete uninstall is a must!)
  • Reboot the system
  • Once up and running, install the drivers (using the latest drives downloaded earlier) one at a time and rebooting system after each driver installation.
  • Don't forget stay disconnected, if you are updating the network drivers.
  • Install latest copy of AVAST last
  • Now eanble the network connection

You should able to connect to the net, and all other devices should work.

If you have a network printer, you may wat to disable the avast NDIS Filter Driver in Network Adapter properties panel, before start printing and re-enable it when done.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:34:14 PM by sbedigital »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »
The "real" issue is third party support or the lack there of. I agree with the OP if a user spends as much as the OP they should receive discounted if not free support. Third party support companies should always start with the issue, then once fixed, then do a hard sell. Fix then sell.

The only fault I can find concerning the OP is that they should have come here first.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

de redder

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
Customerservice by phone is mostly a no go. In the last 20 years i have spoken ONE person with knowledge all other calls were with monkeys. :o

So, forums are always better. Free and good. :D

Adam Riley

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
Someone needs to read what is written on the avast support page (http://www.avast.com/support see more details) as it gives a different interpretation of what support is covered.

It is much more than you suggest, see image, the last point would appear to be a lot.

Absolutely correct DavidR.  The phone support team should offer those items as listed on our website.
The support scope, in simple terms, should cover installation of Avast and insertion of the license, plus any configuration issues directly associated with such.  However, if the issue is being caused by an incompatible driver or an issue with other software on the computer for example which is blocking Avast from being installed, our customers should have the issue explained to them and should be told about the paid service we offer to resolve that issue, and of course given details of this forum and our other contact methods as alternatives.

As always I am here to be contacted directly in any case such as this if anyone feels like they have been misled.  My direct email is riley@avast.com  - I am based in our Prague HQ so please forgive me for any delays in replying to emails sent from different time zones outside of CET time.

Many thanks
Adam Riley
Manager, Global Services

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Thank you Adam, your time is appreciated here.

"our customers should have the issue explained to them and should be told about the paid service we offer to resolve that issue, and of course given details of this forum and our other contact methods as alternatives".

I would be interested in knowing if anyone, in fact, is/has been given any details about our forum and other contact methods as alternatives to what they are trying to sell (paid support). :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »
Thank you Adam, your time is appreciated here.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone, in fact, is/has been given any details about our forum and other contact methods as alternatives to what they are trying to sell (paid support). :)
+1