Author Topic: Virus in Flash Drive hides all the files inside ~ how to fix?  (Read 48576 times)

clinXr

Virus in Flash Drive hides all the files inside ~ how to fix?
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »
One of my important flash drive got infected when i used it to transfer file from one of the shops, i scanned it and the autorun.inf got detected,

but still all of the files had disappeared, yet the size in my drive is still the same so i thought the files had been hidden, i clicked the show all hidden files in folder options, but none showed up. how can i fix this? i don't want to reformat the files inside are important.

there's this one file and it's an application. its target was this folder
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe ~$WN.FAT32,_ldr@16 desktop.ini RET TLS " "
i didn't dared open it because it looks suspicious to me. its a file i cant upload to virustotal.

ss:

inside the flash drive

properties

what should i do to recover my file? thanks

argus

Re: Virus in Flash Drive hides all the files inside ~ how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
Hi,

Step1

Download MCShield from one of the following links:

MyCity -  Official download link
Softpedija - Mirror download link

• Double click MCShield-Setup to install the application.
  • Wait a few seconds to MCShield finish initial scan.
Recommendation to under General and Scanner tab you click on Defaults button to choose recommended options.
  • Connect your USB storage devices to the computer one at a time. Scanning will be done automatically.
When all scanning is done, you need to attach a logreport that has made MCShield.

Start -> All Programs -> MCShield -> Logs

Attach here -> AllScans.txt

Explanation: USB storage devices are all the USB devices that get their own partition letter at connecting to the PC,
e.g. flash drives (thumb/pen drives, USB sticks), external HDDs, MP3/MP4 players, digital cameras,
memory cards (SD cards, Sony Memory Stick, MultiMedia Cards etc.), some mobile phones, some GPS navigation devices etc.

Step2

Download DDS and save it to your Desktop from here:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Double click dds to run the tool.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
        1. DDS.txt
        2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop. DDS.txt and Attach.txt attach back to topic.

clinXr

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »
Thanks for reply! and thank you, it did solve my problem  :) :)

i downloaded and scanned it with MCshield. it did work!
as for the log file, there's one appeared after the scan but it closed on its own, i dnt know why. well i can't seem to see any LOGS text or folder inside Program Files > MCshield. for what i understand is that "all program" you mentined was the program files. i can't see any "all program".

and i didn't do the step 2, there's no response on the link you gave.

....But it did fixed the problem it detected something on the flash drive, now there's a no name folder that contains all my files. i deleted the .vir file, seeing it as some useless file.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:48:33 PM by clinXr »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
Lower left corner, click Start > all programs > MCShield > Logs >......

and the DDS link argus posted is working here 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:04:53 PM by Pondus »

gonjako

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »
Same problem here. Also got this from my laptop (Windows 7 O.S.). This is so terribly annoying. We fixed our problem using a different P.C. (Windows XP O.S.) before seeing this post.

So my question would be, is this fix applicable to an infected system? Because I'm suspecting that my laptop is already infected.

Thanks.  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
@gonjako

So my question would be, is this fix applicable to an infected system? Because I'm suspecting that my laptop is already infected.

start your own topic in this forum section and one of the removal experts will help you

ShadeLRK

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
Hey, people! I have a problem.

So the same thing happened to me, and I did what you said in here. It worked!

The thing is that every time I plug my flash drive back in, it says it's infected again, and it has to go through the whole repairing thing again.
What can I do? I have yet to use another flash drive to see if it gets infected too. I don't want to risk them.
Does that mean my own computer is causing the problem? The AV software always detects the autorun.ini from the stick but does nothing besides blocking it.

Help, please!

argus

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »

@ShadeLRK

Download DDS and save it to your Desktop from here:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Double click dds to run the tool.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
        1. DDS.txt
        2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop. DDS.txt and Attach.txt attach back to topic.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »
I'm sorry I just realized that I had already signed up and posted so i created this account. I am Lukerivard170 as well, and i completed the steps you gave me.

I discovered the infection two days ago and have been doing everything i can to learn how to deal with it and keep it from happening again. It got hundreds of music files, 600 video files and many other things. Using the Forums I was able to retrieve the videos but I'm stuck at a standstill. My last problem seems to be that the "hidden" files on the external hard drive where they're located are still hidden, even after I used every command you guys have been giving. When I use and elevated command prompt i can navigate to the external and find all of the music files sitting there clear as day, they just don't show up on the external. Can someone please help, i'm at my wits end.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
for help start your own topic ... also this one is from 2013

attach requested logs from this guide  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:43:46 AM by Pondus »