Author Topic: Programme Getting Too Big  (Read 3227 times)

Offline davidwh

Programme Getting Too Big
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
I use Avast Internet Security and it is now taking up almost half a GigaByte of space on my PC, is there any way of reducing this? Its far too big

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Programme Getting Too Big
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
I use Avast Internet Security and it is now taking up almost half a GigaByte of space on my PC, is there any way of reducing this? Its far too big
Can you check the log and report folders for the biggest files?
When avast! crashes (for any reason), it saves a memory dump. Generally big files. If you have them, we can guide you to delete the proper ones.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Programme Getting Too Big
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
Can you be a little more detailed in which areas (sub-folders) is the area of concern ?

Whilst I only have the free version the defs folder is the one that takes the lions share or the installation, this is because it contains the complete virus database, when it is updates (incremental) the new signatures and the previous full database are combined into a new defs sub-folder, so there are times when it will have duplication, the new sub-folder the previous one and on the odd occasion the one before that.

Avast periodically does housekeeping removing these older definitions sub-folders, so there is going to fluctuation of size in this area, which is why I asked for more detailed information. The database is in an uncompressed state to speed scanning.

The space currently taken on my complete installation is 413MB, the defs folder takes 108MB and there is only 1 sub-folder with the full database, if you had two then that would take it up by approximately another 108MB. The setup folder is also another big one 166MB as this has the verification files (.vpx) and these are essentially copies of files so they can replace corrupt files using the avast Repair function.

Is half a gig a big deal on today's monster drives ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security