Author Topic: Problems with Web Shield and Netzero HiSpeed  (Read 4424 times)

Nomen Nescio

Problems with Web Shield and Netzero HiSpeed
« on: February 20, 2005, 04:48:27 PM »
Because I have a slow dial up connection through a mobile phone, I switched to another ISP, Netzero HiSpeed.

When I dial in with Web Shield enabled Outpost shows that all the traffic is going through ashWebSv.exe but then the HiSpeed does not work, x1exec.exe (the accelerator program) does not start up. x1exec.exe also redirects the traffic to a local host. When I shut down the Web Shield, a few seconds later HiSpeed is active and all the traffic goes through x1exec.exe. Then I restart Web Shield but nothing is being scanned, also ashWebSv.exe does not show up in Outpost anymore. (Trusted application)

x1exec.exe connects to accel037.lax.accel.untd.com (remote address), remote port 7000.
Local Address: localhost
Protocol: TCP
Local Port: 4791

There are multiple x1exec.exe running with remote address: localhost and the remote port varies from 1114 until 1140. (that is what I see now, have seen lower and higher port numbers)

The browser(s) are then connected to the remote port that x1exec.exe uses and that shows up as the browser(s) local port.

How do I get the Web Shield to work with HiSpeed? (or visa versa?)

Hope this all makes sense, newbie on this topic  :)

I’m using w2k sp4 and all MS updates installed,

Nomen Nescio

lee16

Re: Problems with Web Shield and Netzero HiSpeed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »
Webshield just disappears from outpost trusted applications?, this is strange, have you tried adding webshield manually to outpost app list? (using the appropriate rules)

--lee

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 06:27:42 PM »
If my guess is correct, HiSpeed uses a proxy server to achieve the increase in (apparent) loading of pages? It reduces the quality or further compresses graphics, so that when you download them the page loads quicker. I have never been convinced by these excelerators and even though I'm on dial-up myself I don't feel the need to have this.

I use firefox and I find the pages loads acceptable.

If HiSpeed is using a proxy you need sync web sheild and hispeed. Do a search for 'proxy provider' without the quotes as similar points have been discussed.

THis one might fit the bill:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11294.0
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 05:59:32 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »
So you have a proxy server set up in your browser, with details similar to

server: localhost (or 127.0.0.1, which is the same)
port: 4791

? BTW which browser are you using?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Nomen Nescio

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 05:34:48 AM »
Lee, I did not meant it disappeared from the trusted application list, after activation of the web shield again, after x1exec.exe got connected, it does not show up in the Outpost Show Network Activity window. Sorry that I wasn’t clear about that.

David, I tried the solution mentioned in the link to the other thread but no result, I can activate the web shield but nothing is scanned. HiSpeed really speeds up the loading of the pages, especially with my connection over the mobile phone. The maximum connection speed I get is 11.7 KB/s, page’s load with an average of 1.5 Kb/s, downloads have an average speed of 500 bytes/s.

Vic, the local port changes every time I dial in, before x1exec.exe used the local port 4791, now it uses 2862. The remote address and remote port are the same.

Because the local port changes it no use setting the localhost and the port into the proxy server setting of my browser(s), right?

HiSpeed only works with browsers who use the IE engine. I use IE and Maxthon (uses the IE engine, advantage is tabbed browser windows) for the websites I trust and/or if the site is not displayed correctly in Firefox, Firefox for all the other websites.

Because I can only use IE or IE engine based browsers to use the HiSpeed I would really like to get the Web shield working using the accelerator.

Thanks in advance if you all can help me with this problem,

Nomen Nescio

Nomen Nescio

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:55:25 PM »
Nobody with any idea to solve this  problem?  :'(

Regards,

Nomen Nescio

Nomen Nescio

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 05:42:09 PM »
Hi VlK,

problem solved  :)

proxy server set up in IE:
server: localhost
port: 7900

Added port 7900 to the Redirected HTTP port(s) in the webshield config, left port 80 there just in case the HiSpeed is off and removed the mark for: Ignore local communication.

Works perfect now

Nomen Nescio

P.S In my first post I mentioned port 7000 (type error), should be 7900