Author Topic: Full Normal Scan incedibly slow  (Read 9485 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Full Normal Scan incedibly slow
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
i would also uninstall Ad-aware and SpyBot as you dont need these when you have avast and malwarebytes
Fully agree, even more so if you have SB or Ad-aware running in real time.

rgh

Re: Full Normal Scan incredibly slow
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Well, after right at 48 hours, the "normal" full system scan completed.  It found 4 files (it found these files in the very beginning of the scan) that it classified as a threat and suggested moving them to "The Chest" - which I did.  It then suggested that I do a bootscan upon reboot and I hit "Okay".  The computer rebooted but it did not kick off the bootscan - I assume because I did the full scan in SAFE mode.  So I waited until windows finished loading, launched avast, scheduled a bootscan and rebooted.  That was at about 7:30pm last night.  It was at 46% at 5am this morning.  It has found quite a few (I won't know how many until it is done & I can review the log) more files that it has classified as threats that I have moved to "The Chest"...

I guess my question at this point is why weren't these files found during the 48 hour "normal" full system scan ???

Any comments??

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 10:12:38 PM »
with no file info it is all guesswork   ???

rgh

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »

My current question is: Why, immediately after a normal full system scan, would a bootscan of the same files turn up more threats  ???

bobo1

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
How Many background processes are running when CONTROL ALT DEL is pressed. Under process tab?

I am running XP SP3 on a vintage IBM Thinkpad only 25 processes running and a full scan takes 25 mins! on avast default settings. Bet you have lots of spyware consuming the computer resorces!!!!!

1. Download Malware bytes free & do full scan and remove what it finds.
2. download adwcleaner and remove all toolbar crap!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:28:49 AM by bobo1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »

My current question is: Why, immediately after a normal full system scan, would a bootscan of the same files turn up more threats  ???

Again we don't know the files are or what the threats are.

The boot-time scan is different to the full system scan and these differences that could be the reason.
The boot-time scan, includes archives and it also scans for PUPs = Potentially Unwanted Program/s - See http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci1066761,00.html. Not included in this definition are tools which can be used for good or evil, some have been legitimately installed for a specifically good purpose, but could have been unknowing installed for a malicious purpose.

Hopefully you can see why we need some information on what was found, file name, location and threat/malware name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rgh

Re: Full Normal Scan incredibly slow
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »
Thanks to all for your consideration.  I will let you know how it goes the next time I do a full scan.

Moderator: You can close this topic.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Topics generally remain open (should you need to come back to it) after time they drop to the bottom of the chronological order.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security