Author Topic: JS: Psyme-AK help!  (Read 3584 times)

dalittlegirl

JS: Psyme-AK help!
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »
Hi,

I was using Safari on my imac today and I have a habit of resetting my safari every time i finish using it and when i reset it avast had a pop-up saying that an infection was detected.  it was the cache file of the Safari so i pulled it in my trash and was thinking of secure emptying my trash but on second thought i pulled it in avast for the scanning and click delete from the avast app.  Does this guarantee that the virus is being removed from my imac completely already?  Is there anything i can or need to do?

And what exactly is this virus gonna do to my computer?  Is it harmful for macs? I know some viruses are only harmful for pcs so I wanted to know if I'm still at risk or not deleting it correctly or if I have to do anything..  I'm a total newbie here so please bear with me and explain if you can what I need to do.  I just want to make sure that what I did will keep my computer virus free... and I don't want my computer to still have the virus "hidden" somewhere.. as I like to use my computer to purchase online.

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:42:34 AM by dalittlegirl »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: JS: Psyme-AK help!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
forum section for Mac is found here.   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0

What is JS/Psyme (and How to Get Rid of It)
http://antivirus.about.com/od/virusdescriptions/a/jspsyme.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?name=TrojanDownloader%3aJS%2fPsyme.gen

TrojanDownloader:JS/Psyme.gen exploits a vulnerability known as the Navigation Method Cross-Domain Vulnerability, in the Web browser Internet Explorer to execute malicious Javascript. This malicious Javascript is commonly used to download and execute other malware onto the system.

dalittlegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:39:35 AM »
That didn't really answer my questions... Anyone can help?
I understand its a web based thing but those links don't specify whether if its actually harmful for macs.. Please help with my questions!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
That didn't really answer my questions... Anyone can help?
I understand its a web based thing but those links don't specify whether if its actually harmful for macs.. Please help with my questions!
thats why i gave the link to Mac forum section
we here dont understand nada about Mac, so you should post in the Mac forum section.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:22:21 AM by Pondus »

dalittlegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
Even if you don't know about macs, do you know if this infection "JS:Psyme-AK[Trj]" is only targeted for Window systems?  Meaning it won't really harm my imac?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »
If your mac is fully patched and it was a webshield type infection you should be OK