Author Topic: safest browser for internet banking with avast?  (Read 13999 times)

Southern Man

safest browser for internet banking with avast?
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »
Greetings :),

Firstly thank you to the avast team for a great  av producy it has done me really well for many years in protecting my pc and picking up and catching nasties over time!

Athough not a avast question but maybe people on the forum can recommend the safest or strongest browser to use for internet banking along with avast,private firewall (which works great with avast no problems at all!),trustee rapport,winpatrol.
I am using windows xp sp3.

Firefox v.19
chrome v.24
internet explorer 8
opera v.12.14

Thanks

southern man

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: safest browser for internet banking with avast?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »
Avast Pro and AIS both have Safe zone.  This is a browser totally isolated from the rest of the system that accesses the net via a secure server https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1185

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »
Greetings :),

Firstly thank you to the avast team for a great  av producy it has done me really well for many years in protecting my pc and picking up and catching nasties over time!

Athough not a avast question but maybe people on the forum can recommend the safest or strongest browser to use for internet banking along with avast,private firewall (which works great with avast no problems at all!),trustee rapport,winpatrol.
I am using windows xp sp3.

Firefox v.19
chrome v.24
internet explorer 8
opera v.12.14

Thanks

southern man

Hi: I don't believe Internet banking is 100% safe as the bad guys are always finding better ways to intercept/steal or compromise peoples security on-line. As you don't have access to "Avast SafeZone" with your Free version I won't recommend that, although I wouldn't be without it.
IE in my opinion is one browser I would stay away from.
From what I've read/researched both Google Chrome and FF  are much better then IE. I can't speak for Opera as I've never used it.
I realize this information isn't show stopping but again, I personally wouldn't be without SafeZone but then I had to put some green down for Avast Pro which offers this option. :)

Southern Man

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs ;D,i really have not started using online banking yet but will need to do so shortly as it willl be very convenient to do so but not so if my funds are stolen! >:(,i too am very wary of online really i do not think it is so safe!,so am also reticent to use internet explorer,unfortunately also trustee rapport has stopped working with latest firefox 19 which is my main browser i use,i'll try chrome see what happens.

Cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:57 AM »
One think about on-line banking is that the bank also has to play its part.

Many have two stage logins and mine is actually three stages has a device (which has embedded a unique code) that the user has to enter their long pin number and this generates a random code to enter. Even if one of those logins were somehow monitored it wouldn't do then much good as they would have to have the device and know the long pin number, none of which is accessible on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MAG

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
You might consider a Linux LiveCD used only to access your banking site in any given session?

(I realise that doesn't exactly meet your 'with avast' spec though)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:27:38 AM by mag »

Southern Man

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:42:33 AM »
Thanks for all your inputs ;D,i really have not started using online banking yet but will need to do so shortly as it willl be very convenient to do so but not so if my funds are stolen! >:(,i too am very wary of online really i do not think it is so safe!,so am also reticent to use internet explorer,unfortunately also trustee rapport has stopped working with latest firefox 19 which is my main browser i use,i'll try chrome see what happens.

Cheers

Thanks DavidR

Southern Man

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »

Many have two stage logins and mine is actually three stages has a device (which has embedded a unique code) that the user has to enter their long pin number and this generates a random code to enter. Even if one of those logins were somehow monitored it wouldn't do then much good as they would have to have the device and know the long pin number, none of which is accessible on-line.
You might consider a Linux LiveCD used only to access your banking site in any given session?

(I realise that doesn't exactly meet your 'with avast' spec though)

Thanks mag,i have trustee rapport installed have you heard of it?,seems like internet explorer is not a good choice,chrome perhaps better choice?

Southern Man

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:47:22 AM »

Which broswer do you think is safer to use in your opinion?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:16:40 AM »
You're welcome.

I use firefox as my primary browser and that doesn't change for internet banking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »
Which broswer do you think is safer to use in your opinion?
I use Firefox, and generally note most sites support it.
I'm not a big fan of doing financial transactions online, but as DavidR said:
The Bank, and I'm only aware of Banks in Australia, will have to reimburse the customer if money is taken from your account. I suspect you have to be aware of an anomaly in your account balance and report it to your bank, who then stop all transactions. Similar to having your cheque book, or Credit card stolen.

Happy banking  ;)

MAG

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »

Thanks mag,i have trustee rapport installed have you heard of it?,seems like internet explorer is not a good choice,chrome perhaps better choice?
I have used Trusteer Rapport. I have also seen test results for it indicating that it seems to do what it says on the tin quite well.

The problem I had was that it interacted badly with avast from time to time - at one stage stopping the sandbox from running. Trusteer were responsive to these issues, but each new version of either product risked introducing a new issue.

If I didn't have Safezone I would probably still have it though.

de redder

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
Google chrome has an anti phishing. But you can download a free anti phising program too.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
I use Firebox for online banking.  Never use IE or "Chrome because I don't like either browser.   I've been checking our bank accounts online for years and years and I've never had any problems.  Our banks have their own privacy settings so I feel completely safe.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:35:05 PM by -midnight »

JerryM

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
I have used Trusteer Rapport, but it caused some problems so I removed it.
The problem with SafeZone is that I cannot print from it.
Jerry