Author Topic: Puran Defrag - Have anyone tried it out?  (Read 53198 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Puran Defrag - Have anyone tried it out?
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2012, 03:41:50 PM »
I think that the wilders topic is way over blown, I don't know where you get the ethics bit from, I'm no fan of toolbars, but there are opt-out options. Just as there are opt-outs for Chrome in the avast installation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
I think that the wilders topic is way over blown, I don't know where you get the ethics bit from, I'm no fan of toolbars, but there are opt-out options. Just as there are opt-outs for Chrome in the avast installation.
I couldn't agree more. As long as you can opt out, I see nothing wrong with offering toolbars or other software. Some people actually use that stuff.

Mayflower

« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
Did a very quick comparsion of W8 built in defrag and Pura Defrag 7.6, with help of MyDefrag for analys.

Arnold72

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
Did a very quick comparsion of W8 built in defrag and Pura Defrag 7.6, with help of MyDefrag for analys.
@mayflower.
I think if you run every single defragger in existence there would be inconsistencies in everyone of them so i dont see any relevance in your findings other than perhaps puran gives slighly better results.

I use mydefrag which seems effective and i stick with it rather than chopping and changing which to me is a pointless exercise. 8)

Dch48

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
If you set Puran to eliminate the gaps, it will do just that. There is no such option in the Windows utility. I always leave that option  and the one to optimize the directories on. I also will occasionally use the PIOZR optimizing and it noticeably speeds things up. Another thing I do before defragging is turn off System Restore so that all the restore points get deleted and can't cause problems. After the defrag is done, I turn System Restore back on and create a new base restore point.

I still think Puran is as good as it gets for defragging.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:20:56 PM by Dch48 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »

Another thing I do before defragging is turn off System Restore so that all the restore points get deleted and can't cause problems. After the defrag is done, I turn System Restore back on and create a new base restore point.

Quote snip>

I also have followed this particular practice for years on my XP and agree. Of course one needs to remember to turn System Restore back on!
On my Win8 I can simply delete Restore point without turning anything off hence don't have to worry about forgetting. :)

Arnold72

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »
@schmidthouse.
I have turned system restore off totally and dont see the need for it anymore.Restoring an image is cleaner and quicker too. 8)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:27 PM »
@schmidthouse.
I have turned system restore off totally and dont see the need for it anymore.Restoring an image is cleaner and quicker too. 8)

I can't disagree there.
It's just something I have not gotten into or frankly, needed too [yet] in all the years PCing.....restoring an image I mean. ;) :)