Author Topic: Virus Chest Firewall Port  (Read 6724 times)

davidmastro

Virus Chest Firewall Port
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
I was having a problem connecting from the AEA console to the virus chest of client computers running Windows 7, it'd give a RPC connection error.

As specified in the AEA installation guide I've opened ports: 16133, 16135, 16136, 16138, 135, 137, 138, 139, 445

Even with the ports listed above opened I coudn't connect to the Virus Chest remotely without actually disabling the client's firewall (only the Windows Firewall exists other than any Avast protection).

I ended up turning on Windows Firewall logging on the client and it looks like the AEA console was trying to connect on port 16108.

I ran the following command to open TCP port 16108 on the client and I can now connect to the Avast Virus Chest remotely:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Avast Remote Virus Chest" action=allow protocol=TCP dir=in localport=16108

My question is... is the port being used to connect to the virus chest from the server always going to be 16108 or was it just set dynamically?

Also, are there any other ports I should be made aware of? 

I've seen references in the Avast forum for TCP ports 16111, 16103, 16102, 5033 and UDP 6000 that need to be open for avast services... is this accurate?

Could someone from the Avast Team provide a current list of exactly what ports I need open on the client and server, please?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

mrjohncool30

Re: Virus Chest Firewall Port
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »
I am not part of the Avast team but if you want I use ZoneAlarm Freeware Firewall and have had no update issues for versions or for definition updates. I don't trust windows firewall much but it's hard sometimes to narrow down issues such as these.

Che Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
Currently you do have the correct ports and 16108 is correct to connect to the Virus Chest but you should also set the virus alert to be notified of any client infection.  But I'm not exactly sure how you were trying to access the clients chest? If infected typically you need to go to the client remotely to clean the chest or  you can do it from the console.

The previous ports you mentioned are the old ports which were for the 4.8 version, so please disregard those ports as they are no longer in use for the EA.

Thank you again for your concern.

Kind Regards

davidmastro

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
Thank you!