Author Topic: Shut down. Pegasus.  (Read 5081 times)

Walker

Shut down. Pegasus.
« on: September 14, 2003, 01:27:17 AM »
Hi Guys,

A question and a comment...

Question; Is it normal for Avast to slow down the Shut-Down of Windows XP?, if so is there anyway to prevent this?. My guess is that some of the resident Avast programs are closing down. It's only a minor niggle, but I'm used to just hitting the Off button and gone :-)

Comment, Only for info., in case you are not aware. Avast doesn't seem to automatically set up mail protection in all circumstances when used with Pegasus Mail Client.

I've noticed two things (on my machine anyway)...

1, If you remove Outlook or/and Outlook Express from the computer prior to installing Avast, then Pegasus POP settings are not configured by Avasts wizard.

2, Even with Outlook and/or Outlook Express installed, If you have set up 'Multiple Users' in Pegasus, then the Avast wizard does not appear to find all of the POP accounts for all of the Users (even users configured with the same POP settings). As I say, just a comment whilst setting up 15 accounts is fresh in my mind ;-)

BTW; thanks for the new version.  

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Shut down. Pegasus.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 01:56:31 PM »
Well, Pegasus mail support in the avast Mail Protection Wizard seems to be not quite up-to-date. My tests show this:
PMail v4.0 - multiple users are supported but identities of one user are not (there is only default identity)
PMail v4.1 - format of Pegasus INI has changed, wizard is not able to set protection

We will work on it.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 05:53:28 AM »
Thanks vojtech,

When you do go investigation, look a little further than just v4.1 there is 4.12 now with a few fixes.

BTW, was I right that Avast is shutting down files and slowing the computer shut down process?... just curious in case there is anything else in there doing this.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 07:34:32 AM »
About the slow shutdowns.... can you verify if you have the Q329170 (also known as MS02-070) security update installed on your machine? And do you have a printer installed?

It's a known fact that this update, together with an installed printer, is causing slow logofffs on many machines (primarily under Win2K but also on some XP systems)...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 09:15:57 PM »
Hi Vlk,

At the moment, I have NO MS updates installed. This is because I am getting 'system crashes' (blue screen & re-boot) and I am in the middle of investigating if the updates were causing the problem (did a fresh OS install and leaving out the updates for now). I do have printer drivers installed (Epson).