Author Topic: Does Avast Utilise Symantec as a source?  (Read 6832 times)

Colin

Does Avast Utilise Symantec as a source?
« on: September 14, 2003, 01:49:23 AM »
Your last reply to the question of Avast Setup modifying itself solved part of the question I asked.  I still do not know if Avast requires the Sevices and Controller application in NT4 to access the internet!

But more importantly, I have the situation where Windows Eplorer (NOT IE!) is continuously tryng to access a range of IP's which happen to be the IP address of Symantec.com. By continuous I mean 200 times per sec!

This is really slowing down my machine as I have them blocked. Is it possible that Avast is actually trying to access Symantec? Avast shows no trojans/Worms or other virus's on my machine and I cannot think why this would be happening now - all this is very recent and maybe I do have some sort of infection which Avast has not picked up!

kubecj

Re:Does Avast Utilise Symantec as a source?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 02:34:41 AM »
Avast doesn't have anything in common with Symantec. Can you post the IPs here?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 12:53:49 PM »
Do you have any Symantec product installed on your machine? It's real unlikely that avast would ever contact any Symantec server - in fact, it only communicates with four Internet servers - and all of them are official avast servers, as described in the avast! 4 FAQ: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_81.html (the Firewall-related question).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 03:49:36 PM »
...is continuously tryng to access a range of IP's which happen to be the IP address of Symantec.com. By continuous I mean 200 times per sec!...

Do you ever installed NAV in your computer, I mean, even in the past and then desinstall it?  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Colin

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 10:57:56 PM »
The IP's are
196.33.166.199 port 80 and
196.33.166.202 also port 80
Both the above give me symantec.com as host.
Many years ago when my machine was dual boot, I installed Norton  System (1995?) but that disk went to the heavenly scrapheap many years ago too!
I have Norton on disk in zipped format - but have never installed it. Also have nav2003.exe on disk in archive file - not sure why - but nowhere is it in any startup directory and its not in system or system32 folder. Have moved to recycle bin now and will see if this changes anything.
BTW - apologies for previous double posting - had brown-out and not sure whether it was posted or not!

Colin

Re:... Utilise Symantec as a source? Still waiting for response!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 12:13:16 AM »
 >:(
I replied to your request re whether I have ever installed Norton, but never got an answer to that or the initial query where i asked re Services and Controller App. I quote below:
Colin:
I still do not know if Avast requires the Sevices and Controller application in NT4 to access the internet!
Support:
 Avast doesn't have anything in common with Symantec. Can you post the IPs here?
Colin:
 The IP's are
196.33.166.199 port 80 and
196.33.166.202 also port 80 - NB now 196.33.166.200 too
Both the above give me symantec.com as host.
Many years ago when my machine was dual boot, I installed Norton  System (1995?) but that disk went to the heavenly scrapheap many years ago too!
I have Norton on disk in zipped format - but have never installed it. Also have nav2003.exe on disk in archive file - not sure why - but nowhere is it in any startup directory and its not in system or system32 folder. Have moved to recycle bin now and will see if this changes anything.

Ok I am still getting the Explorer (NOT IE, Windows Explorer), trying to access these urls'. This all started when Avast went tio Version 4 - so I am near certain there is a problem here!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:... Utilise Symantec as a source? Still waiting for response!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 01:58:22 PM »
>:(
I replied to your request re whether I have ever installed Norton, but never got an answer to that or the initial query where i asked re Services and Controller App... Many years ago when my machine was dual boot, I installed Norton  System (1995?) but that disk went to the heavenly scrapheap many years ago too!

Sorry for my delay...
I´m a XP user not NT4 so I can´t help you too much...
Ask Vlk...

For NAV remove see RNAV2003 at Freeware completely compatible with avast! on XP Pro http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=new
and the forum DOS under XP / NAV http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=259;start=0

I don´t think that a 1995 installation have something about it... Symantec changed a lot since that time...
Do you have a firewall, what is in its log files?

Maybe you can see if any spyware is in your system. I suggested some links at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=new

Good luck  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 02:15:00 PM »
Colin, I understand that you browned off as no one's really helping out with your issue, but I still believe that this thing has nothing to do with avast. Seriously I can't imagine any part of avast to contact any server besides our own, even in the Explorer process.

I don't want to push you to try to uninstall avast and see if it stops, but for the sake of certainty it's probably the only way to prove that avast is completely innocent in this matter...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 05:46:02 PM »
Colin, I understand that you browned off as no one's really helping out with your issue, but I still believe that this thing has nothing to do with avast. Seriously I can't imagine any part of avast to contact any server besides our own, even in the Explorer process.

I don't want to push you to try to uninstall avast and see if it stops, but for the sake of certainty it's probably the only way to prove that avast is completely innocent in this matter...

Vlk

I totally agree with Vlk...
Please, try just once SpyBot and SpywareBlaster (links above)...  ;)