Author Topic: WebShield stops Windows Update  (Read 5085 times)

cato

WebShield stops Windows Update
« on: February 28, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »
Hello,

I've just spent the weekend reinstalling 4 computers for a client. All came with the Win XP SP1, and therefore I installed Avast! 4.603 before I connected them to the Internet.

Then I installed SP2 - from a CD - and then I went to Windows Update to get additional updates. That's where the problem starts.

After almost 12 hours on the phone with Microsoft SP2-support (in the US) some smart soul told me to disable Avast! and try Windows Update again - and of course - it worked just fine.

In other words - Avast should really think twice before they release a version that obviously haven't been tested against the most frequently used service online for most PC-users.

I'm amazed!

When will this be fixed? Can you please pay my phonebill?

Cato
Oslo - Norway

niko

Re: WebShield stops Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Hi Cato and welcome on this forum
That's where the problem starts.
As someone say here: help us help you: please, can you give more informations about your pb? Thanks Cato ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 10:45:42 PM »
What browser, if not IE?
What firewall?
What error messages or reasons were given/displayed to stop you accessing windows update.

I have no problem accessing windows update with either IE or Avant and web shield running.

Have you allowed ashWebSv.exe access to the internet in your firewall?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kantjer

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:17:43 PM »
I was also not able to use M$ update since I installed the 4.6 version with Web Shield enabled.

After some testing I found a (in my situation) work around:

ad "download.windowsupdate.com" (without the quotes) to the ignored addresses in the Web Shield configuration menu.

good luck
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:30:21 PM by kantjer »

cato

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 11:36:59 PM »
I'm sorry for not beeing specific enough.

My problem on all 4 computers was that when entering Windows Update and after I start searching for updates - the green bar (searching for available updates) just keeps going and going and going - indefinately. IE then hangs. Exactly same software and scenario on all 4 computers.

I only run the WinXP SP2 firewall - which basically means no firewall.

Anyway - the smart soul at Microsoft finally told me to disable Avast completely, I did, and then tried Windows Update again, and it worked perfectly. In other words - I don't really know which part of Avast blocking me - but it certainly was Avast!.

I have no other software installed, and nothing that possibly could interfer.

Again - this happened on 4 different computers.

BTW: Windows Update only works through IE.

kantjer

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:39:53 PM »

My problem on all 4 computers was that when entering Windows Update and after I start searching for updates - the green bar (searching for available updates) just keeps going and going and going - indefinately.

cato, that is the exact same problem I had, try my work around

cato

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 11:45:51 PM »
And how exactly do I get into the WebShield configuration menu?

kantjer

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 11:49:16 PM »
lm click the blue ball in the taskbar and select the Web Shield. You can find the ignored address setting on the first tab.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 08:05:29 AM by kantjer »

cato

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 12:06:01 AM »
Yes! Thank you.

That worked fine.

I hope though that the developers of Avast will release a new version that automatically fixes this, because it's impossible to figure out if you're not an expert.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 12:24:47 AM »
BTW: Windows Update only works through IE.
Not entirely correct, it does work with Avant (that is what I use for updates), and probably many of the other browsers that use the IE core back end, such as Maxathon, Green Browser, etc.

Web Shield on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security