Author Topic: FreeDownloadManager And Avast 7  (Read 3430 times)

Said Bakr

FreeDownloadManager And Avast 7
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:26:59 AM »
The FreeDownloadManager, ver. 3.9.2 build 1289, anti virus scanner option does not work with Avast 7. I used the following settings:
Settings -> Downloads -> Essential:
Perform Virus Check (true) and the path to scanner is: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe
And Arguments is: %file%

My OS is: Windows7 Home Premium 64bit
Avast Version: 7.0.1474 Home Edition

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: FreeDownloadManager And Avast 7
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:23:34 AM »
Try removing the Argument %file% as I don't believe it is required.

What do you mean it doesn't work, just because you don't see a scanning/scanned/results windows doesn't mean it didn't work.

Do you have the avastUI > Settings > Basic > Special Scans 'Show special scans in the avast! user interface' ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Said Bakr

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
Yes, I mean that exactly. The scan dialog does not appear after download is completed. I, already, had enabled  "avastUI > Settings > Basic > Special Scans 'Show special scans in the avast! user interface'"

When I tried to remove %file% argument, the following message is shown:

Argument string does not contain %file% macro. This macro is necessary to give an indication of which file to check to your antivirus program.
Continue anyway?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
I've noticed that too a long time ago... Never found a solution.
FDM requires the %file% parameter. ashQuick does not require one.
Anyway, never worked...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Thanks for that Tech, as I have never used FDM I wasn't aware of its requirements.

@ Said Bakr
When the download is complete the file system shield (FSS) should scan it I believe. You could open up the FSS and monitor the last file scanned field and initiate a download to see if the file is scanned when saved to the hard disk. The web shield may also scan it depending on the protocol used by FDM to download it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Said Bakr

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »
Thank you very much DavidR
When I tried to download file FastStone Image Viewr I just noticed that in the Last File Scanned the following value:

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_0040a0

While the downloaded file named FSViewerSetup47.exe. I don't know if the regarded value above describes the temporary file name during the download or not?!

I think that, this may be a usability issue with Avast, because the user should see a trusted visual expression that tell him/her what's exactly happened. I have used Avast since version 4, it was able to perform such things. I think that ashQuick should be modified or creating new little tool that could able to do such tasks with downloads managers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
The above name is more like its browser cache, but I don't use chrome either.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:42:03 PM »
The ashquick scan is silent unless a virus is found. To test, download the eicar test virus with FDM. You should receive an alert from Avast (7) as I do.

http://www.eicar.org/

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »
The ashquick scan is silent unless a virus is found. To test, download the eicar test virus with FDM. You should receive an alert from Avast (7) as I do.

http://www.eicar.org/
Actually, my last test is flawed. Webshield called on ashquick before FDM had a chance to. Below is the popup you will get when FDM calls ashquick.