Author Topic: mail works intermittently  (Read 3581 times)

nobuddy

mail works intermittently
« on: February 27, 2005, 07:26:08 PM »
When I use OE, it appears ashweb wants to handle the connection - on rare occasions I do see ashmaisv appear in Outpost - but that is the one time out of many that I actually receive mail - when it fails it's a time out error. In task manager, all of Avasts' providers are enabled

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: mail works intermittently
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 07:30:57 PM »
Are you using OE to access a Hotmail account? That would explain why WebShield is in play.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nobuddy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 07:35:04 PM »
Ok I see. Gmail and my ISP's mail work. It's a problem with hotmail. Hotmail says I still have access with OE but it's been only occasional access then. Thanks Vlk.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 08:22:15 PM »
To expand a little on Vlk's comment.

OE's (and Outlook's) access to Hotmail is not using POP3.  It is using a modified form of HTTP called HTTPDAV.  This is what Microsoft planned to restrict to paid accounts but has just decided to allow existing accounts to keep for now.  It will not be permitted on new accounts. 

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 08:34:35 PM »
alanrf are you saying it still works for the existing (free) Hotmail accounts?
That would be good as we could do some additional testing of it (using our existing Hotmail accounts).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 10:30:46 PM »
Vlk,

yes Microsoft reversed their policy (for now anyway) during the past week.  They will allow free access to continue via OE and Outlook for currently active accounts. 

I suspect that this will lead to some confusion in the forums with the issue of old free accounts vs new free accounts. 

As a matter of interest does the Avast special consideration for Outlook/OE scan/add clean text for mail read from Hotmail via HTTPDAV?

This MS decision also means that third party HTTPDAV to POP3 converters will continue to work for existing accounts too (the only one I know is sourceforge hotwayd).

Other third party converters of Hotmail to POP3 that are using  standard HTTP access (MrPostman, FreePops etc.) are unaffected either way. 

Alan