Author Topic: HELP! Anti-theft practically bricked my tablet..  (Read 2787 times)

todeshund

HELP! Anti-theft practically bricked my tablet..
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
I had avast mobile on my android tablet, a non-rooted LG-V900/Optimus Pad/G-Slate running Honeycomb 3.0, and setup the anti theft feature on the tablet.

After a while I suspected that avast mobile was slowing down my tablet, so I uninstalled the antivirus but 2 problems started appearing:
  1. Apparently the anti-theft feature was not cleanly uninstalled along with the antivirus, and would still pop up every time the tablet was restarted, and ask me to input the 4-digit passcode.
  2. Sometimes the tablet would restart by itself and become very warm for no reason at all.

Then, a few days later, the tablet restarted by itself and the anti theft popup did not show on the screen to input the 4-digit passcode, but the screen would display a normal android lock screen as if anti-theft was never there. The problem is that I cannot unlock the android lock screen, because the screen seems to be completely unresponsive while I can hear email notification ringtones from the tablet.

My theory is that the anti-theft UI somehow became broken and is still layered on top of the android lock screen. And because I have no way to input the 4-digit passcode (what I can see is the android lock screen but the display is unresponsive to touch), I cannot proceed to unlock the android lock screen.

Therefore, my tablet has effectively been rendered a brick by anti-theft, and the only way to recover is to do a factory reset, which will also erase all my important data.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:14:22 PM by todeshund »