Author Topic: Connection Timeout with avast 4.6 and thunderbird  (Read 34476 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Connection Timeout with avast 4.6 and thunderbird
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2005, 01:27:54 AM »
It would be better if avast could scan SSL accounts so I will post a request into the request topic
thanks anywaY

SSL Secure Sockets Layer - this is encrypted traffic and wouldn't be very secure if avast could simply open it to scan (so could others). I believe that the Alwil Team have ruled out any avast, SSL integration in these forums previously (certainly in the medium term).

Using Stunnel, avast can first scan the outbound email (no encryption) before it is passed to Stunnel to do the SSL connection, etc. this is perhaps an over simplification but very basically what happens.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

o2xygen

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2005, 10:35:31 PM »
ok then if avast would be developed in that way that acts like stunnel eliminating the use of this utility?

sded

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2005, 10:57:25 PM »
I find the use of Stunnel and OpenSSL works very well, requires no maintenance, and is very easy to set up and even modify to go to a different secure email system (like gmail, which uses a different SMTP setup).  There is even a Stunnel users group.  A good FAQ/tutorial combining the various postings would be nice for new users, though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2005, 10:23:42 PM »
ok then if avast would be developed in that way that acts like stunnel eliminating the use of this utility?
It's not a scanning feature, or antivirus, it's about security connections.
I don't think that avast! will develop it. It's not an avast! concern after all. It's the same of developing text edit features, a calculator...
Well, different applications for different purposes.
Thanks to sded I got my pop/smtp SSL email scanned with avast!  ;)
The best things in life are free.