Author Topic: Connection Timeout with avast 4.6 and thunderbird  (Read 34474 times)

coeur2k

Re: Connection Timeout with avast 4.6 and thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2005, 02:23:38 AM »
m.m
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 02:33:27 AM by coeur2k »

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2005, 02:08:21 AM »
I continue to have this... :(

Can the developers correct this, please!?

Thanks
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2005, 03:56:59 AM »
Did you try increasing your timeout in Thunderbird or are you just insisting that the Avast team fix this?

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
I can reply to you with some questions:

Why do we have to change a lot of thing in the other program to work fine with avast!?

I not just install avast! and everything works fine?

I do this with others AV's without any problem, only with avast! I have to change the config file, and hidden settings of other programs. Do you think that this is normal? I don't...

Think about normal users that just want to install an AV and forget it... With avast! this is impossible...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 11:55:56 AM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 02:59:39 PM »
If something isn't working and you are offered a suggestion that may fix it, yet you chose not to try it because the program doesn't work out of the box, is your choice.

It can take time to scan incoming or outgoing email, during that period your email program is awaiting a response from the server after its fixed delay time period it pops up the warning.

Not all AVs scan email, not all AVs scan at the same depth/degree, so it is hard to make a balanced comparison.

Not all AVs use a localhost to scan email prior to it getting to your inbox (this does take time) and potentially causing harm, waiting fro the email to be downloaded to the inbox (and saved on your HDD) may be faster (and not cause a time out pop-up) but to my mind this is a lessor level of protection. Life is full of compromises.

Thunderbird has a default of I believe 45 seconds OE has a default of 60 or 120 seconds (mine is set to 90), which is correct? whichever suits your needs. avast! can't always cater for every email programs settings directly out of the box, so some fine tuning may be required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 03:13:04 PM »
Not all AVs scan email, not all AVs scan at the same depth/degree, so it is hard to make a balanced comparison.
NOD32, KAV, BitDefender, AVG, Symantec...
Only have problems with avast since the default settings in this version was changed...
If works fine before, why change? Why not adjust to all the majors programs?

And I'm not speak only about me, but for the others users that doesn't perceive nothing of computers...
These users just want to install the AV, and don't want "complicated" settings to change...
I know some users that install the programs, if they doesn't works, just uninstall and try other...

But this is my opinion...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 03:15:04 PM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2005, 03:26:58 PM »
Only have problems with avast since the default settings in this version was changed...
Do these use the localhost to scan emails?
Are you talking about the update that included the transparent set-up of ashMaiSv.exe or something else?

Which version from - to what change?
Adjust what Major programs?

As is your right to ignore a suggestion which may resolve the issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2005, 04:40:42 PM »
Do these use the localhost to scan emails?
Are you talking about the update that included the transparent set-up of ashMaiSv.exe or something else?
I'm talking about receive email throught Thunderbird...

Which version from - to what change?
Adjust what Major programs?
The antepenultimate version...
In my case, I have to change Thunderbird and a setting because Ad Muncher, but now avast have more incompabilities...

I don't said that I will ignore the suggestions, I just want a better solution for the problems...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2005, 04:44:22 PM »
I don't said that I will ignore the suggestions, I just want a better solution for the problems...
Alwil team, why don't you say anything? From time to time, we, the users, get lost without official support... This lack of support makes the things worst.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2005, 06:35:09 PM »
I believe that changing the default timing in thunderbird will ultimately be quicker than waiting for a better solution, whatever that may be.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2005, 09:13:43 PM »
I believe that changing the default timing in thunderbird will ultimately be quicker than waiting for a better solution, whatever that may be.
Me too, but this is not a reason for Alwil does not 'try' to solve the timeouts problems...
The best things in life are free.

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2005, 04:14:41 AM »
Unfortunately, it seems that I'm wasting my time...

Thanks for your support...

o2xygen

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »
Sorry for opening this thread again,
but how do we configure avast to scan emal from thunderbird...
I have thunderbird 1.0.3 and used it to download messages from my gmail account.. However after checking the internet mail and  outlook resident providers, it said that 0 files have been scanned...

sded

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2005, 02:53:39 PM »
gmail uses secure (SSL) mail for pop3 and smtp.  Search the forum for SSL, Stunnel,  gmail to see several tutorials on how to set up avast! for gmail.

o2xygen

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2005, 11:10:07 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0
Ok I found it... I will better not try it, because it need much time... And it depends on third party programs... It would be better if avast could scan SSL accounts so I will post a request into the request topic
thanks anywaY