Author Topic: Avast cannot connect to antivirus engine.  (Read 5201 times)

krystaleyn

Avast cannot connect to antivirus engine.
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
The suggested remedy is to close and re-open avast to "repair the antivirus components", but that isn't working. I saw a couple other topics with this same error, but I need a user-friendly fix, not one that requires mucking about with file name changes and the like. I have no idea when I started getting this error; I just opened the application to run a scan on my USB (which I know has a PC virus on it that I've deleted countless times), and found out. It has been installed on my computer for a few months without issue.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast cannot connect to antivirus engine.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »
The suggested remedy is to close and re-open avast to "repair the antivirus components", but that isn't working. I saw a couple other topics with this same error, but I need a user-friendly fix, not one that requires mucking about with file name changes and the like. I have no idea when I started getting this error; I just opened the application to run a scan on my USB (which I know has a PC virus on it that I've deleted countless times), and found out. It has been installed on my computer for a few months without issue.

Well,
user-friendly enough solution is to uninstall avast and install it again. For some reason, your applications content isn't complete and thus the auto-fixing doesn't help you.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

krystaleyn

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
Fair enough; I will give that a shot!

ritch47golf

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
I struggled with this for a while too. Finally I got it to work.

Uninstall must be done from the Mac menu dropdown not by trashing the application.

Hope this helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
I have the same problem. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling but I still get the same message that it could not connect to the antivirus engine.

I have a mac and I am new at this.

Please help!